• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hubby wonders

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all!

I've got a question straight from hubby. :D

He was wondering why Paulie will wipe his beak on him when his beak isn't dirty. He had asked me but I didn't know the answer either. Is this just a bird habit or are they like rabbits who like to rub their chins to show ownership and affection?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy does this sometimes. It can be a habit from/of boredom IMO. of

I also agree it's what @Dgh said.

Now that Buddy's busy, all the time, It's more a napkin situation.

Or an itchy nose/nares area.. *sniff* :wacky:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Beak rubbing can be a signal of ownership in some birds ;) it's a way to say, "this is mine!" to avoid a squabble.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beak rubbing can be a signal of ownership in some birds ;) it's a way to say, "this is mine!" to avoid a squabble.
Hmmmmm! I didn't know that! Very interesting indeed.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Lol, thanks folks. Always learning something new with Paulie.
For instance, he likes being read too. :hilarious:
Singing not so much though, :huh:.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine loves to rub her beak after eating her blueberry on me, looks like blood!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
A walking napkin! Lol Now I know why the crew keeps me around!!!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
Quill loves for me to sing. He will instantly fly to me when I sing. It doesn't matter what I am either. Good, bad, or ugly lol

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Buddy likes this too! Kids books, I think its because I can make them fun. We watch Birdy TV (youtube etc.... Online stuff). He doesn't seem to really like it when it's another person reading the story. He likes to touch his beak to the book!

he likes the book "Ten apples on top" by Dr. Seuss, quite a bit

Ten Apples Up on Top! - Theo LeSieg, Dr. Seuss - Google Books

After he got over the fear of how big the board book was (like 8" tall) for the " Fluffy Duckling " by Cyndy Szekeres'. He really enjoyed that one too! Got it for a .25 cents @ the library (a sale)!

https://www.discoverbooks.com/Fluff...MI7Ly12POr4gIVDmeGCh2NbgYKEAQYAiABEgLqffD_BwE

instead of singing, what about whistling?

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@Rain Bow
Oh how adorable!
I haven't tried whistling yet... Primarily because when I whistle is draws my dogs' attention :facepalm:

I should try reading Paulie some children's books. I've only ever read him my textbooks :hilarious: he's gonna end up one smart parrot.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I first got Twitter he was quite nervous so I used to sing Edelweiss to him, it calmed him down.
He was using my older son (who was 12 when we got him) as a napkin for a while too but Twitter was always wary of kids and didn't interact that much with them, it was only me the first year he was with us. He would sit on my finger/arm or the table during dinner, and jump to my son to clean his beak then down to the table again to get some more food. So up ti my son and dry his beak... That was the only time he chose my son over me during this first year.

I don't know if it is because my son matured as he became a teen, or if it is because Twitter matured as he became a teen, but they were beginning to go along pretty well after that first year and Twitter was spending more time with him. Unfortunately Twitter suddenly died half a year later, but just to say, being a napkin could be a sign that there is potential for a deeper relationship!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first got Twitter he was quite nervous so I used to sing Edelweiss to him, it calmed him down.
He was using my older son (who was 12 when we got him) as a napkin for a while too but Twitter was always wary of kids and didn't interact that much with them, it was only me the first year he was with us. He would sit on my finger/arm or the table during dinner, and jump to my son to clean his beak then down to the table again to get some more food. So up ti my son and dry his beak... That was the only time he chose my son over me during this first year.

I don't know if it is because my son matured as he became a teen, or if it is because Twitter matured as he became a teen, but they were beginning to go along pretty well after that first year and Twitter was spending more time with him. Unfortunately Twitter suddenly died half a year later, but just to say, being a napkin could be a sign that there is potential for a deeper relationship!!

I'm sorry about Twitter! :grumpy: