• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HQ vs AE

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
So, I've been looking into macaws lately (very seriously!), and I've come across these two cages. These are all 80x40, double macaw, square top cages.

Why is the AE cage heavier than the HQ cage? I've read somewhere, most likely on this forum, about HQ being better in terms of cage quality over AE, with King's being the best (but they don't provide this sort of cage). Is this true, and if so, is this the sole reason as to why HQ is 100 dollars more expensive than AE?? And because HQ, supposedly, has better powder coating, by how many more years would it last in comparison to AE?

Sorry for the insane amount of questions, but I'd like to make sure that this cage is big enough for a macaw. I'm very interested in macaws for not just because of their size, but I've tried to interact with other birds, all of them have run away from me except macaws so... >.> (Cockatoos are out the question due to allergies even though I don't mind the noise [I had one scream RIGHT in front of me and I have lived to tell the tale :omg: ], conures hate me, not a personal fan of budgies....) I won't be acquiring a macaw very soon, but within this year most likely if macaws and I match up. I'm trying to get bitten by a macaw before I jump into this, but I guess the macaws I've dealt with are too nice, or I've been too much of a chicken to interact hands-on enough to get that bite. :bash:

TIA! ^.^

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
oops...didn't see that the HQ cage 819 and that the AE cage was actually 799 (not 719)! XD Never mind! But, in terms of quality, is HQ better than AE?

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I don't know which is better but I have two hq cages and absolutely love them. No problems with either one so far.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I had a really nice 40" hq until my caique started chewing the paint off. So I got an identically sized ss a&e

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you're thinking of getting a Hyacinth, neither cage will last all that long though.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
If you're thinking of getting a Hyacinth, neither cage will last all that long though.
Oh how I wish! XD But no, there are a few GWs in my area up for adoption. Many are good birds with a need for a diet change, while some really do need to be rescued... Either way, I'm just looking at cages. For a Hy (when I'm more financially substantial), I'd definitely give about an acre of land for (preferably each of) my parrots to roam in. I think I'm ambitious enough, haha! But for now, I'll have a GW with that cage. :)

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I had a really nice 40" hq until my caique started chewing the paint off. So I got an identically sized ss a&e
Does that mean that HQ powder coats can be chipped easily? I can't afford an SS in this size, but I'll go with whatever is better in quality. :)

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
The hq powder on my cages have never chipped

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They seem to have about the same reputation. They are supposedly even made in the same factories (King's cages also, but the King's get an extra layer of powdercoating).