• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Just wondering if I can get some feedback on my cage? Not so sure about the size, the lady at the store recommended this cage. I gave him a calcium chew block, a little bell toy-thing to play with and shredding wood. Anything setup wrong in the cage? Here's some pictures:

IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
The cage looks small to me for a 'tiel. According to what I found online "the minimum size cage for a cockatiel should be 24" long by 18" wide by 24" tall.

More importantly, however, is the lack of different perches. Dowel perches, while easy to clean, are not great for their feet. Having pressure on the same spots causes the skin to thin and eventually sores form.

I would get a variety of different perches (diameter and materials like natural wood). If you have trouble cleaning the perches try soaking them and using a firm brush. I have double the number of perches I need so I can rotate some out when I clean the cage.

As for toys - I would add a couple more toys. When a bird is young you want to introduce them to a variety of toys.

Enjoy your new bird!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First you have a very nice looking 'tiel.
I am not a fan of the lift up doors. Some birds can figure out how to open those and there have been incidences of the door slamming down on the bird and that bird getting injured or worse. Consider zip tying them. Replace the dowels with natural wood perches. More toys and possibly a swing would be good additions. At some point in the future consider getting a larger cage.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
The lady at the best store was not very helpful at all. She just said "ok here's his food and millet, here's the cage: and she gave me this one. It was 27 bucks, and she recommend it, so I took it. I bought the calcium block so his beak won't get too long. Just got that little bell spinner toy because I noticed he likes bells and stuff. I know birds like shredding so I got him that. A great deal too, only 99 cents. I'm planning on picking up some more toys later this week for him. I kind of want to wean him off his current food as well. I'm pretty sure it's just the cheapest, not actually a good food. Any toy recommendations? Best seed/pellet? Some toys?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree with the others. You should change the dowel perches to various sizes of natural wood and rope, and you should add some more toys. Tiels like shreddable toys like balsa wood, palm leaves, paper and other natural fibers. What are the dimensions of your cage? How often is your tiel out of his cage? Do you have a playset?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I recommend Roudybush crumbles. It seems that many birds like their food. Good quality seed mixes are Dr. Harvey's, Goldenfeast, and Avian Science.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
All great points already posted!
A $27 cage is Ok for going outside or travel or tthe Dr. Its a good price but min size.

Most important now is to get some natural wood perches. They have them quite resonale with one side clamp & they donlt have to go across the entirer cage just put them in various locations

They are better for the health of the feet.

You can shop around for a bigger cage. I have seen some even in the $100 range that are really nice.

Baby tiels can be clumbsy too so you have to watch for that.

I would recommend Higgins seed & Higgins Intune pellets. They are fruity & most birds like them.

It would be best to do a slow transition of the old food with new but as for seed I think just gove him the higgins as seed is easily switched but pellets are harder & he may not even ever have had pellets.

Higgins has Safflower gold which I think would be good for a tiel

Roudy bush is supposed to be good & Harrisons but Rio does not like them.
You can contact many co for samples.

Last edited:

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
All great points already posted!
A $27 cage is Ok for going outside or travel or tthe Dr. Its a good price but min size.

Most important now is to get some natural wood perches. They have them quite resonale with one side clamp & they donlt have to go across the entirer cage just put them in various locations

They are better for the health of the feet.

You can shop around for a bigger cage. I have seen some even in the $100 range that are really nice.

Baby tiels can be clumbsy too so you have to watch for that.

I would recommend Higgins seed & Higgins Intune pellets. They are fruity & most birds like them.

It would be best to do a slow transition of the old food with new but as for seed I think just gove him the higgins as seed is easily switched but pellets are harder & he may not even ever have had pellets.

Higgins has Safflower gold which I think would be good for a tiel

Roudy bush is supposed to be good & Harrisons but Rio does not like them.
You can contact many co for samples.
We made him a playset, but he's scared of it haha. He's out of his cage a minimum of 2 hours a day.. usually 4 depending if i'm busy. The woman at he store said to get the smaller one or else he won't ever want to leave. (Which I don't believe, but whatever). He is on Vita Bird Cockatiel mix right now. Here's a picture of the playset:

IMG_0082.JPG

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That's a nice stand. My tiel was out almost all day but I worked from home.

2 is really minimum to be out & thats a small cage.

Does not sound like the pet shops lady is really knowledgeable about birds.

Vitaseed is Higgins its OK but has alot of sunflower seeds over safflower which are lower in fat.
I'd try to get the safflower gold nest time. Its free of sunflower seeds & peauts & has pellets in it too.

A bit more expensive but its 3 lbs & Petco has it on sale now

Higgins Safflower Gold Natural Food Mix for Conures & Cockatiels | Petco

Last edited:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Your little guy is adorable, but that cage is much too small. Remember that your bird is a flighted animal. He needs a much larger cage, especially given he is kept in it for up to 22 hours a day. I would look at a flight cage from HQ or AE. Also, you should replace the dowel perches with branch perches and add more toys.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That cage is a good size for travel, outings, sleeping, ect. I think you actually got a really good deal getting it for only $27. But... it looks to be about 18x18". A cockatiel's wingspan is about 18" so he can't even open his wings in there without hitting a toy. If he is spending a lot of waking hours in there, he really should have a larger cage.
A flight cage is ideal - they're around 32x21" so quite a bit larger, but they are an overall very good value for a cage and large enough for him to be active in the cage. They usually cost around $125-150 including shipping, depending on sales.

Also, you'll want to provide some more perches - especially if you get a larger cage. Dowel perches themselves won't harm their feet - but sitting on perches that are all the same diameter will eventually cause discomfort (and even arthritis eventually - but that takes years). The best perches are simply fresh cut branches from a tree (make sure it's a non poisonous tree). Natural branches will have natural variations in diameter and are good for their feet - plus they like to chew on the bark. You can also buy natural branch perches if you can't cut your own. Some birds also love rope perches which most pet stores should have.

I would try replacing the top dowel perch with a natural branch perch and perhaps add a small rope perch. He will probably only use the lower perch for getting to the food and water, so leaving the lower dowel perch in is fine.
If you get a larger cage, which I hope you do, you'll want to get some extra perches or ladders to help him get around and use the space, especially if he's clipped.

Last edited: