• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hows lief having a Plum Head around?...

Janus

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Ive always been Fascinated with the Alexandrine, in The Netherlands there are some areas you can watch them in the wild (like Ringneck and Quakers), but they are too big for me to own one as a pet.
While doing some research I came across the Plum Head...I had never heard of it before. But not a whole lot of info aivalable.
Please tell me about this beautiful bird...Is there call really less loud then the IRN?
How often does it scream?
I can handle a scream now and then but not half the day. Years ago I had adopted a P.Senegal... every time I would leave the room he started screaming like crazy...in a way it drove my gf crazy!
So are they attention screamers like GCC for example? I read they are pretty independent.
Are they one person birds or more like family birds? When i do purchase a bird, somewhere in the future, it will become a single family(hopefully) bird.
There are some plum Heads available here but only for aviary.
Do I have to find a breeder who wants to help me socialize the bird in the beginning.
Oh they also have this fase...bluffing stage...like the other Ringnecks?

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
They are very beautiful aren’t they! I’ve always been drawn to them too :xflove:

Tagging some people who have plum heads!

@alshgs @AkasyaEllric

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have a 3 year old male named Tuki. He is my sweetie pie. He's flighted, so has free roam of the house when I'm home along with my other birds. He does kissy noises, wolf whistles and a whole bunch of other sounds. He doesn't scream, but he can be loud when my other birds get excited. He loves shredding toys, but is essentially a perch potato when in his cage. When out of his cage, he does circles between the kitchen and the living room. I'm his person, and he chooses to be with me, but every now and then he will go to my husband and kids. This is mainly because I'm the one that takes care of him. The rest of the family love birds as well, but I'm the one that trained him. While he loves to be with me and will preen me, sit with me, ect, they do not like to be touched. It's generally the species as a whole that is like that, although you will get the select few that enjoy it. He only lets me do it if we are at the vet and he is scared. Or when his wings were clipped. But I haven't clipped his wings in over 2 years because he enjoys flying. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Janus

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your reply...very helpfull!
I have found several breeders here, some breeding with over 30 couples (all kind of mutations) so I think it wont be that hard to find a young bird as the time comes.

Do plum Heads also have that bluffing stage? And how die you voor with it, just ignoring? @alshgd

Janus

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
sorry last sentence....how do you cope with it?...just ignoring?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Tuki hasn’t gone through a bluffing stage yet...so I don’t have much input on that. But I would say that I plan on ignoring it. He has never bitten me, so I guess I would just have to pay very close attention to the body language

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Janus Plum heads are known to have a bluffing stage. It shouldn't be too crazy to manage from what I have read. The most important thing is to just understand where the bird is coming from. He or she will get over it and become a lovely bird.

I should be adding my plumhead to my flock very soon. They are one of my favourites. I personally am not a huge fan of all of the mutations out there. Their natural colouration is awesome.

They do require daily interaction to maintain their trust in you. From what I understand, they are not strictly monogamous can develop pairs for breeding seasons. So they can loose interest in you if you aren't a regular part of their lives.

Now this information is from what I have read. I have been waiting for a plum head for a few years and I am finally getting my boy this month. I have been dreaming of plummies for ages!
Such sweet personalities. They have been documented helping feed chicks of other species. They are very gracious and loving. They are fast fliers, and can really move when they are startled. So consider ways to accommodate their behaviour. Really amazing gems :) :plummale:

The Beautiful Plum-headed Parakeet | Perry | AFA Watchbird

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@LWK I love her eyelids! What a lovely girl. How old is she?

Here is my boy, Pi, exploring on his tree! They sure love their trees. I am looking forward to his wings growing out.

IMG_5495.JPG

waymac

Checking out the neighborhood
Most of what has been said about Plumheads matches my own experience. My plum head is a 35 year old female (Momo) whom I’ve had her for 28 years. When she was younger (she moves slowly now and has cataracts), she was the most graceful bird I’d ever raised: A clean gliding, precise flier, great at sliding down bars, a dainty bather (face only and breast only) and….well, circumspect. In many ways, the opposite of our conure. But like the conure, she is very clever --but again in a circumspect way. I trained her to do various things (bow, speak, etc) and come when I call, and on her own she found a way to operate a complicated feeding tray (3-step operation) so as to steal food from another bird.

She has never bitten us but often bluffs, rather unconvincingly. She still loves to sit for hours next to my wife or me or squeezed under our chins although she can no longer fly to the bedroom to wake us up (I have to wake her up instead) . She is mostly quiet but when family or guests come over , she greets them with a lovely musical call. Like many Indian parakeets, she doesn’t like to be touched or embraced although loves to kiss and be kissed on beak and on the breast.

She was and still is a hearty eater of everything except (sadly) pellets. A friend who sat with her called her ‘the green glutton.” Perhaps that has helped her lived as long as she has.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@waymac What a fantastic thing to share. Thank you! I hope I can keep my Pi for 30+ years! How fantastic. Pi loves veggies too he is a very good eater. He also has started dabbling with his song, but overall a very quiet bird.

His hatch date was 14 Oct 2018, so he is only a young little one. I have noticed he is very beak curious of the world. Much more than other birds I have had. We have been referring to him as our puppy. He wants to taste/ beak everything. He is such a sweet and kind spirit. He is clever and very intelligent. He just loves playing with new textures and toys. He is also very clear at communicating with humans. He is straightforward and doesn't send any mixed messages. Even when he is on my hand he leads you to where he wants to go by leaning. I am really impressed with him so far. I am surprised they aren't more popular. Maybe it is because they aren't as physically needy? But I couldn't be happier with his personality and antics.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Plum hatched 5/10/18. She was the last one left of her clutch because the store owner told everyone she is not a nice bird. She did step up for me at the store although she was also a bit aggressive at times. I love a challenge so I brought her home. Despite being hand fed and raised at a high end parrot store in LA, she is very aggressive towards hands. She lunges and hisses and if you put your hand there she will bite hard. She also aggressively lunges at your hand when you open the cage door. If SHE wants to go somewhere, she will nicely step up and accept the ride. I think this behavior is unusual for this species. I have began to use a stick to move her around and this has worked just fine. Is this a bluffing stage? Seems early for that.

On the bright side, she is gorgeous and makes a melodious chirp now and then. I hope she gets over the aggression.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no poor Plum. I think that is very unusual for the species. I think that high end parrot store may have mistreated her. :( She may have been traumatized by hands.

Where does she spend most of her day? My guy needs his adventure space and he is only in his cage for sleeping at night. It might help your girl to have a larger aviary during the day or large play space depending on how much time you are home. They are a very active birds. It might help her feel less trapped and may help her build trust. Just a brain storm since I am not sure how Plum spends her days.

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Update on Plum: she is very sweet and kind once on my finger out of the cage. She’s very aggressive once inside her cage, to the point of coming over and lunging at any nearby finger (often biting the bars). So I simply take her out with a stick and then xfter to my finger. I keep her on a large play stand all day. I haven’t been bitten in weeks. She’s a massive shredder. She will work on a toy for hours and when I come back there is a pile is shredded paper on the floor. She’s learned to whistle and her blue tail has come in. We love her.

D71BB1CB-D780-4BFA-97E1-FDD5257B8225.jpeg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Update on Plum: she is very sweet and kind once on my finger out of the cage. She’s very aggressive once inside her cage, to the point of coming over and lunging at any nearby finger (often biting the bars). So I simply take her out with a stick and then xfter to my finger. I keep her on a large play stand all day. I haven’t been bitten in weeks. She’s a massive shredder. She will work on a toy for hours and when I come back there is a pile is shredded paper on the floor. She’s learned to whistle and her blue tail has come in. We love her.

View attachment 299374
I am glad she is finding the rhythm. What is her cage like? Try removing anything that might be like a "nest". This species can be very protective of their nests. It could help. You could also try leaving the cage open so she can come out on her own.

She looks lovely! I am glad to hear she plays on her play stand all day. They seem to just LOVE openness and foraging.

I know what you mean about shredding. Pi leaves a pile of wood chips everywhere he goes :xflove:

Warren697

Real Name
Warren
Hi I have a question for anyone that can answer. I have recently purchased a pair of mature Plum Heads. Unlike my Conure pair they refuse and have not gone into the next box even to sleep. I have had them over one month now and they seem very happy. The sleep on the perches rather than using the next box. The are in an outdoors enclouser that is roofed so have shelter from rain but my other birds prefer to cuddle up in the boxes at night. I find it very strange how they have never gone inside and the size of the box is correct. Has anyone else experienced this before?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello Warren,

I do not breed.

Plumheads are not conures. Different species, different behaviours, different nesting and breeding habits. Plumheads are not cuddly birds in the way conures are. It is normal for them to stand at some distance from each other. They won't use a nest box unless they are nesting. You have had your birds for 1 month, that is a big adjustment. If I were you I would try and get a better understanding of the species before rushing into breeding. Plumheads are wonderful birds. If you want to breed there are some plumhead specific groups that you can find. I am a member of one on facebook. It can be hard to find plumhead specific societies so the facebook group is a good place for plummie nuts to connect. At this point in time it seems you may need guidance from a mentor to ensure you are giving the birds everything they need for breeding.

This isn't a forum that is focused on breeding. We are concerned with the health, well-being and happiness of companion birds! Be patient with your sweet plumheads. They take years to mature and are famous for abandoning nests if they feel stressed. ..so possible your birds are stressed..new home.. new human around.. new neighbors (the conures)

Please find guidance from a proper mentor if you are serious about getting into breeding. Do not just toss to birds in a box and expect chicks. Breeding can be rewarding, or it can be a battle. I want to know that all of your chicks will thrive and live long happy lives.

This message is meant to come across strongly. This is because I am very attached to plumheads, especially when they are respected as the gregarious and sweet birds they are and not just breeders... that aren't preforming. :(

Warren697

Real Name
Warren
Hi Fashionfobie,

Can you kindly share the name of the group on Facebook please? Of course I do want to learn as much as I can and I am not one to toss two birds in a box and expect chicks!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello Warren,

It is my pleasure. Plum Headed Parakeets Public Group | Facebook

As stated before I know it is hard to find a plum-head society. They aren't as common as finches or budgies etc. So I think this group is a great place to connect.
It is important to get proper feedback :) Blossom head parrots are very similar to plum-heads. So it will help you ensure you are doing the right thing by the species and your birds.

Thank you for looking for more information! I appreciate plum-head parrots very much. I will admit that I am overly protective.