• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how young to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
What age do you start teaching your bird to forage for food? Have any of you started with babies? Risa is 5 months old, and was weaned on to pellets, but is just learning how to eat fresh foods. I'm a little afraid if I start putting anything over her food, she may not look for it, and start eating less. I haven't found anything that she really LOVES for a treat, so there's nothing I could wrap up and hide, that she might get psyched about finding yet. Should I hold off and wait to introduce foraging until she is really chowing down her fresh foods? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I would still keep her dish full of food and make a game out of hiding some in easy things for her to get at. You could take a little paper cup and let her watch you put the stuff in and then crumple it up and let her try to get at it. It is never to early for her to learn in my opinion just make sure she still has access to plenty of food

Status
Not open for further replies.