• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would you train sun conures not to screech (constantly)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I am considering fostering/adopting 2 sun conures. But the trouble is they screech all day - all -- day... The owner is confused as to the cause. She says she regularly takes them for walks, drives in the car, they get lots of time out of their cage everyday, and she provides plenty of toys, food variety, etc. For all intensive purposes it sounds as though she takes good care of them.

Apparently the first one came to her with a lovie and had a screeching issue which was only worsened by her previous owner's frustration. That's all I know. She had quieted down quite a bit by the time the owner got the second one. But now the two just play into each other and have almost no quiet moments throughout the day.

So, I'm really calling out to the experts here! Why do birds screech? Any reason you can think they would do it all day long?

Now, how would you stop it?? That's the bid one!!

When I got Wesley and Buttercup they screeched ALOT. But it was clear to me that is was because of over stimulation and exposure to humans, pets, and noise. They had been in a breeding situation before with little socialization. They get to my house and people are ALWAYS there. So, after giving them a few weeks to adjust I started trying to work through the screeching.

I did a few things, all suggestions from different people. I tried to incorporate them together. 1st I created a predictable schedule. I opened the curtains at the same time, let them out of their cages, fed them 2 meals, etc. All at a predictable time of day. Next, I never punished greetings (when I get home they make a LOT of noise!) or excited screeching such as during times of a lot of noise or someone new in the house. Incessant screeching in the middle of the day because I was in another room or something to that effect got a "punishment."

If I wanted to "punish" I would blacken the room. I could do that then. I can't in the new apartment so I would probably get cage covers. The darkness would last only until the birds were quiet for 30 seconds. Then back to light. They picked up quickly. If, after 3 tries of covering the cage I could not stop the screeching I would deliver 1 squirt with a bottle. Wesley likes it, so it didn't work with him, but he responded pretty well to the dark room and the consistent schedule everyday!

So, I know birds are loud. I know sun conures have a deafening screech too! But that's not a problem. Screeching for 2-3 hours in the AM is welcomed. Notifications that it's time to eat, time to turn out the lights and go to bed, or they are happy I am home are all welcomed noises. For the most part these are the only times we get a lot of noise now.

If I take the other 2 conures in it will be my goal to bring them to a level that is manageable like my 3. I would appreciate any critiquing of the current methods and would especially appreciate how to go about training them to not screech constantly.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
In my experience Suns are not apartment birds at all. They are loud screechy birds! Thats just how they communicate.
If you want to try to lower the amount of time they are yelling I would:

1. Do not ever 'punish' a bird. IME it does nothing, ignore the bad behaviors, reward the good. So for starters try whispering to the bird while its yelling often they will be really quiet to hear what you are saying. You can also teach them to whisper and reward them when they do it or quiet down.

2. Try establishing a contact call. I have a 2 note tune I whistle to the birds all the time: when I go, when I come back and greet them, and when they are being noisy. often this has helped with a lot of confusion with them and they understand they do not need to yell.

3. Sometimes a quick reprive is a shower. If they enjoy them give them a bath when they are being loud (DO NOT ever attempt to give one if they are acting uncomfortable or trying to flee the water as it will create a fear of bathing and you). If he/she enjoys a bath it helps keep them busy preening for a long time afterwards.

4. Last but not least: Pay attention to their body language. Why are they screaming? Parrots comunicate always!!!! Learn what they are trying to tell you! Are they doing it for fun? are they frustrated? Not enough to do? is there somewhere else they want to go but can't get to? Food? Maybe they just want more attention from you?
SO what you have to do after that is establish an acceptable loudness time. Encourage screaming for about 10 minutes like 2 times a day (the most natural times to be loud are dawn and dusk). When they learn that they can be loud and know when, they will get into a routine and generally be loud at those times. (unless there is an unusual circumstance like a need for an alarm call...)

These are a few useful tools I would try and do use with my birds and they are very quiet. :)

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks Ashley for the great info!

I have gotten mixed opinions on punishment/negative reinforcement when training birds. The way this idea was presented to me was that if I only ever responded to the calling with a solution - food, shower, time out of the cage, etc. Then I would only be encouraging the behavior. And that at times when the screeching is out of context then showing some sort of distaste with the "bad" behavior is also necessary. Does that make sense? Ignoring is also a good method to show that too, for sure!

An example of this is the shower idea. The lady I am considering adopting the suns from puts her birds in the shower because it is the only time she can get any quiet from them. But, I'm sure you can imagine, they now scream incessantly for a shower. So, now it has become a reward for the loud constant screeching. Make sense? I am hoping to break this cycle!

I really like the idea of whispering to get them to be quiet! Just as I was reading your post my 3 were screeching at me. It's time for dinner. But normally they would make a great fuss while I was preparing dinner. I decided to whisper to them. I said "Ok-ay, Ok-ay. No need to scream. No need to scream. Ok-ay, Ok-ay" All while making food. They were so interested in what I was saying they stayed quiet while I made dinner. Pretty nifty, thanks for the great idea!!

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Screaming ALL day long isn't normal behavior, so I'm sure there is something to be learned in observing them. I've had 3 sun conures and a nanday kept together, and though they were quite loud during the usual times ( sun rise, sun down, vacuuming, etc ) I didn't hear too much from them otherwise.

You've already been given some good advice, so I would definately think about keeping them busy. However, to be constantly screaming there must be either enforcement for that behavior or something that is bothering them.

Do they need more space? They could be squabbling with each other over spaces like the highest perch, etc...I've seen love birds do that.

A change in cage, view, and overall routine might break them of it. I certainly would just ignore it, and not make eye contact....if it persists, it's a problem they are causing between each other.

Hope that helps... :)

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
My sun is not noisy and screeching all day. She can be noisy at times, mornings, and when the dogs bark -- she barks too. But other than that she's fairly quiet. I hide treats for her in the cage. Give them something to do or something to tear up, maybe they won't screech so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.