• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How would you interpret this interaction?

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
The parakeets are flirting and the quaker is the third-wheel. :(

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The blue budgie seemed interested but your Quaker was not very sure. At one point he lifts his foot which could be an, "I am feeling uncomfortable, come get me". When the budgie gets close he opens his beak in a keep your distant plea. I would be very careful as the Quaker could do some real damage.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I see an accident waiting to happen. Your Quaker is just so much bigger, he could easily hurt one of your Budgies. I also do not see him wanting to interact with them, he looks to be uncomfortable, or slightly nervous.

How long have these birds been allowed out close together like this? If this is new for these birds, I'd be very, very careful. Even if they're long time flock mates, I'd still think about getting another perch so they can still be out, but not next to each other.

Your babies are beautiful, and I just love the little noises the Budgies make.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
budgies are too big for their britches and notoriously unafraid of even the bigg est opponent...be very careful..that quaker can seriously harm the budgies...

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
The Quaker is clearly uncomfortable. He is defensive at times and leaning away as far as he can. He really can't get further away. The budgies seem unfazed by him, which, in my experience is typical for them. Budgies will get frightening close to other birds sometimes, even when the other bird is clearly not okay with it. I have my budgies in a room with smaller birds, but still don't let them out with the linnies or lovebirds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Agreed, your Quaker is uncomfortable, and when the blue budgie got close, he gave him a clear, "Stay away."

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The blue budgie is interested in interacting with the Quaker who wants nothing to do with him. The Quaker is being low key defensive, but I think if the budgie had pushed it, the Quaker would have been more aggressive toward the smaller bird. You really have to keep tabs on those budgies as they are afraid of nothing until they get injured; only then do they gain some respect for the larger bird.

Two of my budgies picked an altercation with my CAG and were lightly injured before backing off and learning the CAG is not interested in interacting. I even have a semi-opaque curtain I close around the CAG's cage when the smaller birds are out so they do not land on the cage bars and get injured. But I found the injured birds trapped in the undercage waste drawer are crawling under the curtain to get closer to the CAG! Luckily no bone were broken, only one wing strained and the other had a bleeding bite. Both budgies recovered completely, but no longer try to get closer to the CAG.

That being said, I have one cock budgie, Sky, who has decided he is going to be friends with one of my cock cockatiels, Pogi. Sky courts Pogi as if he were a hen and has even tried to mate with him. Cockatiels are so laid back, most of them, all Pogi does is open his beak in threat and cage locations in the birdroom, but never attacks Sky. I have never had my cockatiels injure another bird. I have had lovebirds injure 'tiels, and my Senegal will punish an aggessive small bird by pinning them to the floor or a cage top and ripping feathers out of their back... Sunshine Senegal's aggression toward the small birds has all but disappeared now that she lives cage free and the only aggression I see now is when she reminds the budgies to BACK OFF!

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
Thank you! I am vv careful. I can read the budgies body language well but Penguin's is still new.