• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How will the chicks look like

Nzkm

Moving in
Real Name
Nuzaik Mohamed
Hi, this is my first post. My male cockatiel is whiteface whichs father is a whiteface and mother is an albino. And the female is an albino(pair on the left).She laid an egg yesterday. If you guys know how the chicks will look, it will be appreciated. Thanks IMG_20191126_164127.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome:)

@Monica is really good with this stuff

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
What a cute setup <3 If its anything like ball python genetics, youll get a mixed batch facoring the dominant gene.. or maybe not! gosh, im no expert. Best of luck to you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Nuzaik! :starshower1:

Yes Monica is very knowledgable, I´m sure she´ll be able to help :)

@Tara81 @Tiel Feathers

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As long as the hen hasn't been getting around with any other males, you ought to have whiteface and albino offspring of both genders. :)

If you get any offspring that are not whiteface in some way, she's been messing around!

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
they'll probably look like this! 1576880234760.png ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And isnt there any chance I can assume the gender of the babies
I´m sure you can get a DNA test on the eggshell when the chick hatches

Nzkm

Moving in
Real Name
Nuzaik Mohamed
I tried to find a place for it. But heard there isnt a place to do pet dna tests in sri lanka

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cockatiels can breed as early as 5-6 months old, if not younger... not that it should be encouraged as they may be too young, physically and mentally speaking, to be raising chicks... just saying it's not impossible :)

If the hen was not an Ino mutation, then yes, it would be possible to sex *some* of the chicks as soon as they hatch. However, since she is an ino, you wont be able to sex any of the chicks *unless* the male is split for cinnamon and/or pearl.

In other words, you'l need to sex based on behavior as they mature, or, as mentioned, DNA sexing.

Nzkm

Moving in
Real Name
Nuzaik Mohamed
Cockatiels can breed as early as 5-6 months old, if not younger... not that it should be encouraged as they may be too young, physically and mentally speaking, to be raising chicks... just saying it's not impossible :)

If the hen was not an Ino mutation, then yes, it would be possible to sex *some* of the chicks as soon as they hatch. However, since she is an ino, you wont be able to sex any of the chicks *unless* the male is split for cinnamon and/or pearl.

In other words, you'l need to sex based on behavior as they mature, or, as mentioned, DNA sexing.
Am just a beginner in breeding. Can you explain me about mutations and how the visual color forms and all.
Thanks
@Monika

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Most mutations are a lack of color.... whiteface (aka blue) is a lack of yellow and orange/red pigments. Lutino is a lack of melanins, those being browns, greys and blacks.

Some mutations are recessive, such as whiteface. Birds need two genes (or rather, lack of) on both chromosomes in order to be visual for that mutation. If they only have one, then they are split for the mutation, but are not visual.

Some mutations are sex-linked, such as lutino. Females only require one gene in order to be visual as they only have one chromosome that can display the mutation. This means that they are never split. Males on the other hand can be visual (two genes) or split (one gene).

I once received a family of cockatiels. Mother was whiteface, father was a normal grey. They came with two 'kids', a pearl hen and a normal grey male. This indicates that the father was split pearl (sex-linked mutation). Both kids would be split whiteface.

These articles go into a bit more detail about mutations.

Nzkm

Moving in
Real Name
Nuzaik Mohamed
Its so confusing. I got this pair yesterday. They are not matured yet. The female is pearl pied. And the male is whiteface and no splits. Pearl females cant carry splits, so will the chicks be whiteface pearl pied and whiteface pied and whiteface pearl?

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Females can be split for recessive mutations, but they can't be split for sex-linked mutations. If the hen is not split whiteace, and no known splits, then you'll get all normal offspring split whiteface pied with males being split pearl.

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
If your male is whiteface split lutino then your babies would be whiteface with 50% of the females whiteface lutino's. The lutino is a sex-linked mutation so any whiteface lutino's you got from this pairing would be hens. The whiteface lutino is often referred to as an albino and while albino cockatiels are possible they are really rare and often have health issues. The whiteface lutino is a completely white bird with pink feet, lacking the orange cheek patch and devoid of all pigment.

Nzkm

Moving in
Real Name
Nuzaik Mohamed
Thanks a lot for the support guys. The male is from a whiteface male , albino female pair as I ve told. So it is split lutino. Didnt get any info about females history. The guy only had basic mutations. So its possible only to be split whiteface. Does she look like?

Attachments

Nikki73

Sitting on the front steps
This is the same type of information I was searching for.....My female is cinnamon pearl pied and my male is lutino so, If I am looking at this correctly, and babies would probably be lutino if male and cinnamon pearl if female????? Is this correct?
These genetic mutations confuse the heck out of me.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This is the same type of information I was searching for.....My female is cinnamon pearl pied and my male is lutino so, If I am looking at this correctly, and babies would probably be lutino if male and cinnamon pearl if female????? Is this correct?
These genetic mutations confuse the heck out of me.

Assuming no hidden mutations.... (visual or otherwise)

You would get Normal males split cinnamon pearl pied lutino
And Lutino females split pied