• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How well does the 'Atom' toy hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
I am looking into getting one of these, maybe the large or jumbo for my B&G. I know I said they are too expensive but that's mostly my bf talking..lol.

I know all birds are different, especially chewing wise.. just curious about how long these toys have held up for different people/different birds.. Just a lot of money and I'm curious if they last or not.

Thanks!

- Sarah

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I am looking into getting one of these, maybe the large or jumbo for my B&G. I know I said they are too expensive but that's mostly my bf talking..lol.

I know all birds are different, especially chewing wise.. just curious about how long these toys have held up for different people/different birds.. Just a lot of money and I'm curious if they last or not.

Thanks!

- Sarah
Have you read this thread yet?
http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/12247-atom-mother-pluckin-tough.html

Also, I don't have too much experience since mine is pretty new, but Saemma on here raves about hers and she's had them for years. From what I can tell they are bullet proof. My CAG /Coral chews on it all the time, but the rope is too tightly wounded and too thick for her to do any kind of damage.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
How tough are they???

Seriously, you could bowl with one and get strikes every time, and the thing wouldn't even have a dent or scratch.

I don't even think if I ran over mine with my car that I could kill it ... actually, it would probably tear my car up pretty good.

I'm not kidding.

These aren't made with flimsy wire on the inside .. you can't bend them like you can most atom/orbit toys. Those are stainless steel rods under all that rope. Oh.. and .. you can't budge the rope. I don't know how they get the rope on there so tight, but you can't even budge the rope to see the rods underneath.

They really and truly are MP Tough!!!

pga7602

Jogging around the block
How tough are they???

Seriously, you could bowl with one and get strikes every time, and the thing wouldn't even have a dent or scratch.

I don't even think if I ran over mine with my car that I could kill it ... actually, it would probably tear my car up pretty good.

I'm not kidding.

These aren't made with flimsy wire on the inside .. you can't bend them like you can most atom/orbit toys. Those are stainless steel rods under all that rope. Oh.. and .. you can't budge the rope. I don't know how they get the rope on there so tight, but you can't even budge the rope to see the rods underneath.

They really and truly are MP Tough!!!
It's nice to find someone as passionate about the toughness of an Atom as me :dance4: It's mother pluckin tough! rar!

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
How tough are they???

:rofl:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ya know .. it's rare these days to find products that really are what they say they are.

Everything is "disposable" .. things that used to be built to last 10, 15, 20 years now are lucky to see five years.

Mother Pluckin' deserves some passion. You look at them on the site, and you thing "wow, those are expensive" .. but you order one anyway .. it shows up and you open the box ...

:omg:

The weight alone is the very first sign that Michelle ain't messin' around making these things. You definitely wouldn't want to drop in on your foot while hanging it .. you just might be making a run to the ER and coming home with a cast.

Could a bird destroy it .. I'm sure it could .. I've seen some of those big beaks buzz thru some pretty tough stuff, however .. in a WWF Cage Match .. my money's on the MP Atom to win!!

It's nice to find someone as passionate about the toughness of an Atom as me :dance4: It's mother pluckin tough! rar!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Ya know .. it's rare these days to find products that really are what they say they are.

Everything is "disposable" .. things that used to be built to last 10, 15, 20 years now are lucky to see five years.

Mother Pluckin' deserves some passion. You look at them on the site, and you thing "wow, those are expensive" .. but you order one anyway .. it shows up and you open the box ...

:omg:

The weight alone is the very first sign that Michelle ain't messin' around making these things. You definitely wouldn't want to drop in on your foot while hanging it .. you just might be making a run to the ER and coming home with a cast.

Could a bird destroy it .. I'm sure it could .. I've seen some of those big beaks buzz thru some pretty tough stuff, however .. in a WWF Cage Match .. my money's on the MP Atom to win!!
mine too Merlie

I was so impressed when I opened my box and saw the quality in there

I believe Michelle has large beaks for product testers and these pass with flying colors!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
This is not helping me resit buying one... ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is actually quite tough.
NOT happy to admit this.. but I happen to bang my head almost everyday on each of the Atoms in my home when I am vacuuming underneath them.. so I really do know how strong and hard they truly are. :shocked4:

toos&macaws

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
WOW guys, I am happy you appreciate the hard work my husband and I do! I have a husband who never does anything unless it is top-notch! I am so lucky to have him. I do know of one Harliquin Macaw that did eventually destroy his Atom, but his owner said he knew it would happen because he has not been able to get anything for him that he doesn't destroy. But the Atom did last him a year before he destroyed it. We have friends that have extremely destructive birds and so we use them on most of our bigger toys and Atoms. The two macaws (blue-throat and scarlet) that are on our Jumbo Atom on the site are our biggest testers. They went thru 3 Atoms before the final design was approved (by them). They have been on their Atoms for 6 years now and they still look great!! One tip I can give is if your guys start to chew and get fixed on one particular spot, you can take some other smaller rope and wrap that spot. It will work, I promise. They will keep chewing on that rope and then get board with it. It worked great with my Hy. I don't have to wrap it any more because she has stopped. I think they really start to think "Hey this is my area to play. I must not destroy it".

Any way, thanks for all the kind words and we LOVE all the pics.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
WOW guys, I am happy you appreciate the hard work my husband and I do! I have a husband who never does anything unless it is top-notch! I am so lucky to have him. I do know of one Harliquin Macaw that did eventually destroy his Atom, but his owner said he knew it would happen because he has not been able to get anything for him that he doesn't destroy. But the Atom did last him a year before he destroyed it. We have friends that have extremely destructive birds and so we use them on most of our bigger toys and Atoms. The two macaws (blue-throat and scarlet) that are on our Jumbo Atom on the site are our biggest testers. They went thru 3 Atoms before the final design was approved (by them). They have been on their Atoms for 6 years now and they still look great!! One tip I can give is if your guys start to chew and get fixed on one particular spot, you can take some other smaller rope and wrap that spot. It will work, I promise. They will keep chewing on that rope and then get board with it. It worked great with my Hy. I don't have to wrap it any more because she has stopped. I think they really start to think "Hey this is my area to play. I must not destroy it".

That's a great idea-"to wrap the spot where a bird might continuously chew with another rope till they get bored!"
:dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

I have rope chewers :eek: so I will use that idea!!! :hehe:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

That's a great idea-"to wrap the spot where a bird might continuously chew with another rope till they get bored!"
:dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

I have rope chewers :eek: so I will use that idea!!! :hehe:

that is a great idea, I bet it would work for rope perches as well - not sure what MrB is going to do after he chews through all of his, sit on the bottom perhaps!

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Michelle - I had no idea the owner of the site was here and I hope I didn't insult you by saying they seemed 'expensive'. I know how hard it is to buold a rep and you certainly seem to have a good one for your products.

Reading what other folks have said, it sounds like it's worth the price.

I did look around and those copies of the toy on other websites just seem so flimsy and look like they;d fall apart if my birds stood on them.

I will be getting one for now, I think, for my Blue and Gold. She is small for a B&G, I'm not sure if I should got for the Large or Jumbo.

I'll probably get one for my Yellow-Naped Amazon at a later date, once we get his new cage set up and I'm not sure if he should have a large or medium.

I really appreciate how your store talks about metal toxicity and uses the proper metals to keep our birds safe... too many places seem to just go the cheapest way, rather than the safest.. thanks!! :)

- Sarah

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I ordered a jumbo for my M2....I should get it tomorrow I hope. So I will post pics of it with Nani and you can see the size to help you decide!

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
I appreciate it, thanks!!

- Sarah

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had my first one for almost 3 years and it is as good as new. :D