• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to wean?

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Java has weaning problems.As you can see in my previous posts,he can fly already and eats a more luxurious adult food but still needs to be handfed.
How can I make him search for his own food?I put them in his cage but he won't budge,he just opens his mouth in hope that I will PUT THEM IN.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
eh.no need for replies anymore.Java is now free.Also,pictures of your macaw?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
.Java is now free
? I´m a little confused.

If you still was unsure about weaning, by offering fresh fruit/veg and a dish of pellet, and another dish of seeds, the bird will eventually try them and wean himself.
As long as the baby want formula, give it to him - don´t let him go hungry.

Weaning faves (in my house)- broccoli, soaked pellets, mashed cooked sweet potato, peas

All of my birds could fly before they weaned.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
What I meant at first was that Java was already on those fruits and such,simply put he never ate formula as he is fully feathered and showed more interest in the 'adult food' as well.
What I meant now was that if you looked at my other post at bird boulvard,Java flew off today when I took him out as I do understand that he is wild and will return to nature so that is why I am so concerned about him finding food on his own.Seems like it was too late.
Java will now fly among the trees and maybe pass by me again someday.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
,simply put he never ate formula as he is fully feathered and showed more interest in the 'adult food' as well
If he wasn´t interested in the formula and was eating other foods then he should be fine :)
I hope he adapts well and lives a long, safe and enriched life out in the wild ❤

Sidenote; I read this thread first so I thought you were asking about a parrot

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Ohhhh! What I am worried about is the fact that he needs to be handfed,like he just can't search for his own food.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I also thought this was about a parrot! For the future, it usually helps to mention the species of the bird unless you have it mentioned in your signature or profile picture unless irrelevant, otherwise we usually assume it’s a parrot.