• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent How to treat bleeding leg/scrape injury

Duel

Walking the driveway
I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture but my birds right leg is bleeding and it seems like he did it to himself (again). He was bleeding the first time this Sunday and I immediately took him to an emergency vet and told me to take him to his vet as soon as possible which will be tomorrow and gave me anti-biotics to give him. Now he made himself start bleeding again and I don't know what to do other than to keep him near me and stop him from messing with his leg any further. Is there anything else I can do for him until the vet tomorrow?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Duel

Walking the driveway
No need for help anymore, I took him to the vet and they gave me a cone to put around his head that can be put on and off for when he eats and sleeps.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No need for help anymore, I took him to the vet and they gave me a cone to put around his head that can be put on and off for when he eats and sleeps.
Just be careful with the cone - they can drown in a deep water bowl with it (they overbalanced and can’t right themselves), or injure themselves trying to fly with it on.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Just be careful with the cone - they can drown in a deep water bowl with it (they overbalanced and can’t right themselves), or injure themselves trying to fly with it on.
Maybe now I can make use of his small water cup that I stopped using since he kept dirtying it when he was still under a year and replace the big cup with it for now. The cone he has can be snapped on and off so when he's with me out of the cage I take it off while keeping a close eye to make sure he doesnt mess with his wound again.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update: out of sheer will and determination he chewed the plastic and tore off his cone. Now I need to get him one of these for his size instead Bird Protective Bead Parrot Collar Anti Feather Picking Ring Anti Plucking Anti Grab Elizabethan Collar for Rodents Birds 20E| | - AliExpress
I used to order mine from here:

I would get my lovie the soft leather ones because they were the only ones that weren’t too heavy and didn’t drive her nuts. I had to replace them often however because she’d eventually soften and bend the edges through sheer obsessive determination.

Reactions: Ali