• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to train bird to fly

Dtrueba19

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dylan Trueba
Hi I have an umbrella cockatoo that I want to recall flight train and I don’t know what to do or where to start. He will not fly for anything at all.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
I do not know if this works for bigger bird like a cockatoo but it works for my green cheek. If you have already taught your bird to step up this will be easy. Start off by asking your bird to step up. Repeat this over and over again but each time getting the slightest bit farther from your bird. Your bird will be going from hops to flight in no time. Remember to do this everyday. 20 mins a day is good for your bird. If you want to get in more training time spread apart your training times.

Dtrueba19

Real Name
Dylan Trueba
I do not know if this works for bigger bird like a cockatoo but it works for my green cheek. If you have already taught your bird to step up this will be easy. Start off by asking your bird to step up. Repeat this over and over again but each time getting the slightest bit farther from your bird. Your bird will be going from hops to flight in no time. Remember to do this everyday. 20 mins a day is good for your bird. If you want to get in more training time spread apart your training times.
Well I do step up training with him but when I reach out farther, he will try to use his beak to get on my arm instead of jumping
or using his feet.

Joseph

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph Smithberger
Well I do step up training with him but when I reach out farther, he will try to use his beak to get on my arm instead of jumping
or using his feet.
That’s one smart bird! I don’t know that much about bigger birds, wish I could help.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
or using his feet.
Was the bird in a position below your arm, so he had to "jump up" to reach it?

If so, try doing the same thing, but with the bird on a stable perch at the same height or slightly above your arm. Back away very slowly, so it is easy for the bird to step onto your arm, just by walking one step over. Increase the distance very gradually at first. You want him to feel really comfortable making that first hop, because it is so short and easy.

I would be persistent and keep trying to get him to make the leap. It is going to be hard, because he isn't used to using his wings like that. Be sure to have really good treats ready to reward him and keep trying. Shorten the distance if he can't do it from further away.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
All 4 of my birds came to me clipped and I wanted them to be flighted. They all are now. You might have to "think outside of the box" to find something to encourage them. With my conure I did like someone above said, find a treat that is the #1 fav and keep moving further away. And when they fly over for it, even just a jump fly, give tons of praise. My conure became flighted about 6 months ago and he's just now starting to fly for fun rather than as a means of transport. I've often had the impression that cockatoos don't really love to fly, although that could be totally wrong! We have several members with cockatoos @JLcribber @sunnysmom @Love My Zons to name a few. I can't remember who Milton's human is!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
All 4 of my birds came to me clipped and I wanted them to be flighted. They all are now. You might have to "think outside of the box" to find something to encourage them. With my conure I did like someone above said, find a treat that is the #1 fav and keep moving further away. And when they fly over for it, even just a jump fly, give tons of praise. My conure became flighted about 6 months ago and he's just now starting to fly for fun rather than as a means of transport. I've often had the impression that cockatoos don't really love to fly, although that could be totally wrong! We have several members with cockatoos @JLcribber @sunnysmom @Love My Zons to name a few. I can't remember who Milton's human is!
In my Too experience with both of them in the last 6 years, they are not avid flyers. Both were able to fly, especially when they wanted to get somewhere (the dog they both hated and still do) they will get there.

Sophie is surely better at flying then Jenny was. She can go a nice little distance. Although, she prefers to walk or run on the floor.

The answer in our bird is she can fly, she will fly, but it's not a daily thing or a first means of travel for her. She will fly and land in her places if you toss her into the air. Yes, because she can fly and won't fall to the ground. We do encourage movement for excercise purposes only and overall body conditioning for overall health.

My Amazons are skilled flyers since they came home as babies side note only.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi I have an umbrella cockatoo that I want to recall flight train and I don’t know what to do or where to start. He will not fly for anything at all.
This is not a simple question with a simple answer. You will need to tell us a lot more about your situation in order to give any direction or advice.

How long have you had this bird? How old is this bird? What is this bird's history? How long has this bird's wings been clipped? How much does this bird trust you?

Free flight training is only attempted when a trainer has learned the proper skills (over years) and also owned that bird for a long time (many years) so there is complete trust established as well as the trainer intimately "knowing" its bird because of the time and effort put in "before" attempting such a risky venture.

If your bird does not and has not ever flown it will be a huge challenge to get it to fly. And may not be successful.

Dtrueba19

Real Name
Dylan Trueba
This is not a simple question with a simple answer. You will need to tell us a lot more about your situation in order to give any direction or advice.

How long have you had this bird? How old is this bird? What is this bird's history? How long has this bird's wings been clipped? How much does this bird trust you?

Free flight training is only attempted when a trainer has learned the proper skills (over years) and also owned that bird for a long time (many years) so there is complete trust established as well as the trainer intimately "knowing" its bird because of the time and effort put in "before" attempting such a risky venture.

If your bird does not and has not ever flown it will be a huge challenge to get it to fly. And may not be successful.
I’ve had this bird for a year now. He’s 6 years old. He used to be with an elderly couple locked up in his cage 24/7. Idk if his wings have been clipped before. He trusts me to do training with him. I also take him to new places around the house and he will be comfortable with me.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Free flight training is a very different thing from helping a flighless bird learn to use its wings. Free flight involves taking your bird outside and allowing them to fly without a harness. Recall training is vital to ensure that the bird will return to its handle reliably. This is very advanced training as free flight can be very risky for the parrot.

But I think you are looking into getting your bird to fly to you because he doesn't fly at all. If that's the case, I would start with a vet check to rule out any health conditions that might be limiting his ability to fly AND to check that he is at a good weight. If he has not flown in a long time, his flight muscles will be weak and under developed, so he may be physically incapable of sustained flight. If he is also over-weight, that will make it even harder to fly.

Assuming his health and weight are good, you will want to start small, encouraging the bird to use his wings more and make short hops to start developing those flight muscles and building up his wing strength. The longer it has been since he has flown, the tougher it will be to get him to try to fly since he has developed new ways to solve mobility problems. You might need to get creative and try various approaches until something works.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Tip: Don't force him if he dosent want to, if he looks interested then go ahead, but if he isn't interested, don't force him.