• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to train a loud and skittish Lovebird?

BlueLove

Moving in
The chirping while napping during the day is louder than normal but that's not the main issue. When he is awake then we can't even hear each other talk in the house because our Lovebird gets super load with continues loud noises (more like screaming) and singing like a Canary.

He is almost 3 months old, fully flighted, not hand trained (sold to us as hand-fed, I am not sure why he is super skittish though when we go near his cage even gently), not very enthusiast about toys, he is the only bird in the house and he loves watching and singing along with other Lovebirds on YouTube.

Any advice on how to train him to tone it down a notch?

Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Parrots are loud. You can´t ¨train¨ them to quieten down, though you can try occupying them with other things and that could help. For eg, by teaching your bird how to play with the toys in the cage, and having a variety to choose from. Destructables are great for keeping beaks occupied, things like cork, balsa, mahogany pods or dried palm leaf. On top of this, introduce a few foraging opportunities, be sure to have easier activities available as well as slightly more difficult ones, avoiding the very difficult ones until your bird gets the hang on if.

Ultimately, there will be times of the day that your bird will sit and sing. I found that most of my birds sang a lot as youngsters but later didn´t do it as much. Except one, my boy Nube sings almost every day, especially before afternoon nap time.

we can't even hear each other talk in the house because our Lovebird gets super load with continues loud noises (more like screaming)
Sorry I have no tips for that. we we´re fine when we had just one lovebird, and also when we had 2. Upon introducing the third is when we started having noise issues. And now with 7, to have a conversation in this room is difficult if the right moment isn´t chosen. We take all of our business phonecalls to another room, and choose times when the birds are more settled to talk together, or we go to the kitchen to talk if it´s important and can´t wait. Sorry, I´m not very helpful.

BlueLove

Moving in
Hi Zara,

Thank you, and you're right, that's exactly what I mean, how to keep him busy so he uses his beak for something different than singing and screaming. We have tried many different types of hanging toys, which he shows no interest to play with, he nips at them here and there but never gets engaged with actual playing. We opened his cage and let him out a week after we brought him home and I think that wasn't a good advice the breeder gave us. Now that he is flying around in the house freely, it looks it is making the bonding even harder.

We even thought about finding him a partner, maybe that keeps them busy? Or maybe that doubles down the noise? LOL

Really appreciate your insights.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have tried many different types of hanging toys
Exactly, so when you say hanging toy, there are lots of different types. Ones made from dried palm (Planet Pleasures type toys), then others made of balsa, or even strong plastic or SS toys. There are so many different toys out there that the only way to figure out what your bird likes is to slowly work through all the new ones you spot and see what takes his fancy. Remember he is still young, so it may take a while to adjust to new things, plus he may need shown how to play. If you´re finding it hard while he´s out of the cage, try sitting by the cage before letting him out. interact with him, feed him treats through the cage bars, and show him new toys and how they work.
My birds are all different, some love playing with plastic type toys (like jingly jangly ones), others love bells, others only like destructables, tohers like to preen things, one of my birds is very mechanical and likes to turn parts (and annoyingly undo the clips). My youngest hens fave toy is playing football with a plastic cat ball with a bell inside, and she prefers one type over the others (the pumpkin looking one :rolleyes:). It will likely take you a while to discover what your bird likes but it´s all part of the journey.
I do find that foraging activities with food included are usually always a hit. Something super simple like a foraging tray can be made in various ways, using a plate or shallow tray, line it with either crinkle paper or glass marbles, and some toy pieces, then sprinkle a pinch of seed and a pinch of pellets over the top, voila, foraging activity. You can add as much stuff to it as you like, though I find sticking to the ¨bedding¨ and the food at first makes it easier for your bird to start, and in the future add more stuff once they know the drill. I use those ikea kids picnic plates (plastic ones), and I can get them through the cage door and sit them on the cage floor inside for those times I wanna keep them entertained inside the cage.
You may find some ideas over on Enrichment and Foraging Park of ways to include a variety of foraging activities :)

We even thought about finding him a partner, maybe that keeps them busy? Or maybe that doubles down the noise? LOL
That certainly IS a gamble! :lol: Yes, it will likely keep him busy, though simultaneously it could increase the noise level.

BlueLove

Moving in
They are mostly dried palm and some balsa, no plastic toys but we can try those too, and we removed all the bells after reading about their health hazard, they looked they were cheaply made. Showing him how to play does makes sense, that's if we start over by caging him and try to build a better relationship. His skittishness is a barrier right now.

Time to take a trip to IKEA :D and thank you for the link, there are tons of great information in this forum.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
we removed all the bells after reading about their health hazard, they looked they were cheaply made
I am quite particular about bells too. Those cheaper ones can be very dangerous. Have a look at SSBT for stainless steel bells, they are excellent quality and a really good investment. There´s a few to choose from, this one has a lovely sound,

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
hi :mtyu:

These are favourites toys of my lovebirds stuffed with millet seeds dried chillies I zip tie the cardboard boxes to the side of cage finger traps stuffed with millet zip tied these keep mine quite for a while mine love bells ball at bottom of cage love to throw around containersfilled with seeds treats with paper finger traps straws to hide over top of seeds also keep them quite if I have work I fill them up night before to keep them happy also seems to help with morning noise

do they like millet ? U could find fav treat for training to step up etc 3months is still only young and getting use to you you will get there n be even more rewarding when you see progress
U could also try sitting by cage chatting and whistling clicks if they come close give favourite treats

have you got any pics love lovebird pics

Attachments