• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to test a cage for zinc/other metals?

Shadark

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sergio Baamonde
Hello!

My SO has read in some instagram account about zinc meshes and that some cockatiels got some zinc poisoning due to them, so she got worried that our little boy Frodo could have the same problem with our current cage.

He's currently hospitalized due to some vomiting, crop inflammation but he's steadily recovering, apparently the pellet brand that we use could've not sit too well with him (Zupreem, at the vet he's with Versele-Laga Nutribird) because there he's eating alone and well.

However, the first time that he was hospitalized (he was hospitalized for a week, came home for 2 days, vomited again and we took him to the vet again) the vet saw a small dot in the x-ray and asked if he could've ingested any metal, honestly he's not a biter so we never saw him biting the cage bars or anything like that so I told her that as far as I knew, he hadn't eaten any metal, the vet suggested it could be some leftover grit (if I recall correctly) from the parents.

We're still gonna ask the vet if any of the symptoms could be explained due to zinc/metal poisoning just to be sure, if that's the case, how could we test for metals in our cage bars? I've read about muriatic acid (but we don't have any outdoors place to test) and magnets (bars are magnetized), but we could use some more advice. I've also read that if he doesn't bite any bars we really shouldn't worry but in any case we can never be too safe with our birds (even more considering he's been sick recently!).

Thanks for reading, and again any tips/comments are welcome! Have a good day ;)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What are your cage bars coated with now? All economy priced cages have a coating on the bars. Really cheap cages are vinyl coated fir tiny birds. Most cages are powder coated. In all these kind of cages the underlying metal is toxic. That’s why they are coated. The only kind of cages that are bare metal are stainless steel or aluminum. Those are high end cages.

If your cage has coating missing and bare metal is exposed and you know that your bird does chew the bars then you have a potential source.

If your cage has no missing coating. The cage isn’t your source of toxicity.