• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to tell if a bird is tired/overworked

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I have my lovie flighted and she has never been clipped. I also do lots of flight training with her so I do lots of recall, stationing as well as ascending and descending practice. However I was watching some vids on recall tutorials and the girl mentioned overworking your bird and I was wondering how can you tell if a bird is tired and overworked.

I never find her panting or breathing with her mouth open but are there other signals?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think she was referring to working with a bird too long at one time rather than physical overworking. I imagine an overworked bird would just refuse to do any more, much like an overworked human.
As a side note, a healthy bird can fly most of the day just stopping to eat and drink.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I think she was referring to working with a bird too long at one time rather than physical overworking. I imagine an overworked bird would just refuse to do any more, much like an overworked human.
As a side note, a healthy bird can fly most of the day just stopping to eat and drink.
Thank you :) I was just nervous that I might be harming her since shes a bit of a pig and will do anything for food so i felt like it would be easy to overwork her

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just be sure your training sessions always end on a positive note with the bird wanting more. You can over train any animal.