• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to tell a ringneck is young by its eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
This thread http://forums.avianavenue.com/ringneck-other-keet-street/5398-ringnecks-other-species.html got me wondering how y'all can tell a ringneck is young by it's eyes?

are they like budgies and get Iris rings as they get older? I don't recall any of that coming up in the reading I've done on them, but there isn't a whole lot on the web about them

I was just curious I have a round about age for Kaycee but wanted to know what the eyes told about their age :)

drop

Rollerblading along the road
Ringneck's have dark eyes as babies, that gradually lighten. The eye ring is not yet orange either.

I am not sure about what age a Ringneck usually is when it's eyes have reach mature coloration. I would assume it to be around 18 monthes, which is when the ring would usually start comming out for a male.

I have a friend who has a nine-month old IRN, and his eyes are sort of a light grey-ish, the ring around the eyes has only a little hint of orange, if that helps.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Ringneck's have dark eyes as babies, that gradually lighten. The eye ring is not yet orange either.

I am not sure about what age a Ringneck usually is when it's eyes have reach mature coloration. I would assume it to be around 18 monthes, which is when the ring would usually start comming out for a male.

I have a friend who has a nine-month old IRN, and his eyes are sort of a light grey-ish, the ring around the eyes has only a little hint of orange, if that helps.

thanks, they are similar to budgies, only budgies get a white ring at around 8 months Kaycee was around 3 months old when I got her in August so she's around 6 months now and i'm pretty sure her eyes are still dark, I try not to stare at them she doesn't like it lol but I have seen her pin her eyes and I love watching her do it :D she gets all excited playing and it just goes wild

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
ok i was looking at Kaycee's eyes a few mins ago - well the best i can on this gloomy day and my lights aren't the best but I am pretty sure I see blue iris rings? its not dark blue but kinda a baby boy blue maybe?

Would it hurt her if I shined a flash light towards her eyes so i can see better? That's really my only option as my lighting in my house stinks big time.

p.s. the lady said she was about 3 months when i got her, she got her out of the nest and hand fed her...... So I've calculated her to be roughly 6 months old

Last edited:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
ok i was looking at Kaycee's eyes a few mins ago - well the best i can on this gloomy day and my lights aren't the best but I am pretty sure I see blue iris rings? its not dark blue but kinda a baby boy blue maybe?

Would it hurt her if I shined a flash light towards her eyes so i can see better? That's really my only option as my lighting in my house stinks big time.

p.s. the lady said she was about 3 months when i got her, she got her out of the nest and hand fed her...... So I've calculated her to be roughly 6 months old

Any one know if it'll hurt her to bad shining a flash light towards her eyes so i can get a better look?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Can you just bring her next to a lamp? The flashlight sounds a bit too bright maybe.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
thats what i was doing lol I wasn't going to shine it in her eyes just use it to help make more light but she moves so much it's hard to see anything she kept climbing up my arm and nipping my ear - but at least she didn't go for the ear with the earring like the tiels and lovebirds like doing LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.