• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to teach my cockatiel to not scream when I'm gone?

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
So I have a new tiel (his name is Ollie) who is very attached to my husband and I. We've had him for about a month now. Due to the virus, my husband has had a hard time finding a new job, so he's been home most of the time. But a week ago he got a chance to work at a temporary job for a couple of weeks and he's been out of town this past week and will be all this week. What I have found is Ollie will scream for me any time I'm not in the same room as him. Which has been a problem since I work during the day and I've been doing a lot of cleaning. In the kitchen doing dishes? Screaming. Going to the bathroom? Screaming. Going to go outside for a few minutes to check the mail? Screaming. At first I tried ignoring it, but the last time I did that he screamed for the whole hour I was doing dishes and I gave up and went to go get him. Then I tried covering him with a blanket and that did nothing. I'm worried about how much of it he does while I'm away at work during the day. And the problem is that I live in an apartment. I'm worried it's going to get to the point that the neighbors can't take it anymore and they report it to the landlord. Anyone have any suggestions?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
First f all.. ignore it!

every time you react to it, either by screaming, or shouting, or talking, you are basicly telling your bird “if you scream har enough you will get my attention”

what you’ll want to do is, whenever you’re out of the room, and you ignore his screaming, then you talk to him when hes silent. Learn him that silence gets more attention then screaming :)

also, for you this is not a big change perhaps, but for your bird it is! You are part of his flock, and your husband is as well.. he is basicly screaming for his flock members to return :)

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may need a video cam or recorder to know for sure what Ollie does when you're gone. My guess is that he knows you're gone and is quiet.

Is Ollie screaming or calling out for you?

When I leave my bird, I explain I'm leaving the room, what I'm doing and that I will be back soon to check on him. It may sound silly, but they really do understand and I have found the dialog helps.

When my bird calls out, I answer him to let him know I'm still available and will be with him soon. He now listens when I answer him and his tone changes immediately. I find that the verbal contact (sometimes a conversation if I can) with him reasures him I'm there and will be with him soon. Our routine didn't fall into place immediately, but it didn't take long for him to figure it out.

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
First f all.. ignore it!

every time you react to it, either by screaming, or shouting, or talking, you are basicly telling your bird “if you scream har enough you will get my attention”

what you’ll want to do is, whenever you’re out of the room, and you ignore his screaming, then you talk to him when hes silent. Learn him that silence gets more attention then screaming :)

also, for you this is not a big change perhaps, but for your bird it is! You are part of his flock, and your husband is as well.. he is basicly screaming for his flock members to return :)
Thanks for the advice! I will try that.

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
You may need a video cam or recorder to know for sure what Ollie does when you're gone. My guess is that he knows you're gone and is quiet.

Is Ollie screaming or calling out for you?

When I leave my bird, I explain I'm leaving the room, what I'm doing and that I will be back soon to check on him. It may sound silly, but they really do understand and I have found the dialog helps.

When my bird calls out, I answer him to let him know I'm still available and will be with him soon. He now listens when I answer him and his tone changes immediately. I find that the verbal contact (sometimes a conversation if I can) with him reasures him I'm there and will be with him soon. Our routine didn't fall into place immediately, but it didn't take long for him to figure it out.
Interesting! Usually before I go out of the house for a longer period of time, I'll say "bye bye". But I could try saying a different word for when I'm going out of the house for just a minute or two, or just going to a different room. Maybe that will help. Thank you for your advice!

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
It's a really difficult thing to get rid of, especially if it's been reinforced in the past. Like jh81 said, ignoring is really the only way to get the behavior to extinguish. Easier said than done when it goes on for hours on end, I understand from first-hand experience.

The screeches they make are really annoying to us, but to them, they don't even know that they're doing anything wrong. Birds are really not meant to be alone. In the wild, they live with hundreds of others of their own kind, and a bird who is alone is in danger. They are calling to their flock because in the flock they are safe and comfortable.

I am torn about the best ways to manage this behavior. Ideally, you'd never leave them alone. Instinctually, these animals have been hardwired to never be without a companion.

To me, having another bird in the house is pretty much essential for their wellbeing. Extended periods of alone time causes distress and can be damaging to them psychologically. As humans, it's virtually impossible for us to meet their social needs by ourselves. That's just the nature of the species.

Of course, getting a second bird is a whole new thing that requires a lot of research and analysis of your capabilities. Not a decision to treat lightly.

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
To me, having another bird in the house is pretty much essential for their wellbeing. Extended periods of alone time causes distress and can be damaging to them psychologically. As humans, it's virtually impossible for us to meet their social needs by ourselves. That's just the nature of the species.

Of course, getting a second bird is a whole new thing that requires a lot of research and analysis of your capabilities. Not a decision to treat lightly.
I actually do have another bird that I had before we got Ollie. She's not as tame as he is, and they don't really get along well. They tolerate each other, but that's about it. Surprisingly, it's Ollie that doesn't seem to like her too much. We got Ollie so that he could keep her company actually.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
First f all.. ignore it!

I find they're incredibly persistent, when they scream I just put them on my shoulder, they rule, lol

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I actually do have another bird that I had before we got Ollie. She's not as tame as he is, and they don't really get along well. They tolerate each other, but that's about it. Surprisingly, it's Ollie that doesn't seem to like her too much. We got Ollie so that he could keep her company actually.
I see. That was one of the concerns I was referring to about getting another bird unfortunately. They're like little people, sometimes they just don't get along as much as we'd like. At least having another around helps him not feel completely alone, even if they aren't besties.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Have you tried flock calling with your bird? I have a special whistle that I use to answer mine. They call out again, I answer again. They’re just checking in.

That’s if they are calling. If it’s screaming that’s another matter.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Storm flock calls for me if he can hear me and not see me. When in out the house hes quite apart from when he sings. Just ignore the flock calling and he should learn