• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to teach a wild tiels to step up!?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
These guys shouldn’t even be wild, we spent lots of time with them when they were babies, but 2 of the 4 are ridiculously unmanageably wild. They freak out when I get close and fly away. My mom is putting a lot of pressure on me to get them tame before they sell them in 2 weeks and nothing I do is working. I’ve tried gentle approach, I’ve tried treats, holding tame birds next to them (which sometimes works). I’m traumatized after yesterday, they all freaked out when I tried to get close to them and flew everywhere. One of them landed on the quakers cage and they bit him through the bars and he was bleeding a lot. Now everytime they fly I just panic, since mom wont let me cover them while I work with the babies. I’ve spent hours with them and it literally hasn’t done anything. I don’t do very well under pressure, and this is stressing me out a LOT.

If anyone has any tips I’m all ears.

once they fly everywhere the only way I can get them back is to chase them around, which I know is going to make it harder, but I don’t really have a choice. I have careless siblings that will step on them if they’re on the ground, and if they try to fly up to either the Quaker or the conure cage they’ll attack them.
I’ve expressed my concerns to my parents and they just give me some remark like “you can do it.”

I’m really upset that my mom would make me do this in such a stressful environment.

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
I put all the babies but one in a spare cage so I could work with 1 and not have to worry about all 4 flying all over, hopefully that helps

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's a slow process with some birds that can't be rushed. I have had luck with having a skittish bird step up on the back of my hand held out flat rather than onto a finger. Maybe check out goodbirdinc.com or some other training videos by people like Pamela Clarke.

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
The most wild one I currently have on my shoulder
Moving the other birds from her site definitely helped but I can tell she’s nervous

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't take so much stress. Birds reflect our moods, so when you are panicky they'll also be nervous. Don't worry, you have time in your hand and you can do it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your mum has set you and the birds up to fail I am sorry to say. 2 weeks is not enough time and you being under so much pressure with no ability to set the situation up for the best success will impact the taming terribly. Your only option is flooding them and that is not a good way for any bird or animal to learn and leaves a negative mark on them. The quaker and conure cages should be either out of reach completely or at least covered if the tiels are able to land on the cage- this is asking for serious injury...

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
They’re a lot better than they were, though I found out she’s now selling them THIS Friday which cuts me a week short. I’ve been just feeding them pellets, and making them step up for millet which helps, and sometimes I’ll take each one into a quiet room- (aka the only quiet room in our house, the bathroom) and talk to it, I’ve found that they instantly relax when I sing to them! I sang the most wild one to sleep yesterday aha!

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
they still give a bit of a run when stepping up, but if I do it quick they’ll step up without much effort, and they no longer fly away. They’ll also stay with me as long as I move them out of sight of their siblings.