• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to take your birds on a walk and drive!!

FlockofFive

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
We think taking your birds out for a walk and a nice drive around town is a great way to socialize and get some much needed vitamin D! It is also a great bonding opportunity and family fun as long as it is done with safety in mind! Here are some things we recommend:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great video, looks like fun!

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it helpful, Ppoi!
I needed to buy another harness, and after watching your video this morning I went to Dr.Foster & Smith's website and bought the flight suit.

I had only 1 harness and we have two birds to take out. Now we will be able to take both out together. I couldn't decide to another aviator harness or try the flight suit. I saw that you use the flight suits for your birds, and they seem content, so I made the decision for the flight suit. I think it will be easier to get my conure in it. She doesn't really have patience for me to tighten up the harness after I get it on her. No tightening involved with the flight suit. BB, lovebird, is better with allowing me to tighten it. I can't wait to take both of them out together.

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
We also took Ellie, conure, for a drive the first time tonight. She took it well. 50% of the time biting on the leash, 30% of the time looking out the window, 20% playing with my hair, hanging out in the backseat with my son, and 1 loud scream in my ear (no clue why). Next time we will bring a toy to bite on, and maybe she will leave her leash alone.