• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to take care of Polly

A.K

Sprinting down the street
So, I recently temporarily took in Polly, a green IRN. Her original owner, my cousin, is on vacation. I’ve only ever had experience with budgie though, and this is my first time with a bigger bird, and lets just say I am terrified. The body language is the same right? I already have the stuff for the diet, and cage. Is there anything in particular that I need to know?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
One thing I can think of is IRNs don’t allopreen, don’t expect her to want or ask for scritches or anything.
@fashionfobie may have more advice.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
AussieBird is spot on. IRN don't need help with pin feathers. Body touch is a very stimulating thing for them, and it is best avoided to keep the bird in the friend zone. Try to engage in activities that are more hands off. For example, foraging games to keep the bird busy whilst you do your regular activities. Flock interactions can be simply hanging out in the same room. My little plumhead (a similar parrot to an IRN) is very good at entertaining himself on his play stand whilst I work. He will land on me, and nap on me, but I never touch his head at all. Keep in mind that an IRN does have the capability to take keys off keyboards. So until you know that the bird is happy to entertain themselves and not interested in your computer I may start with something else.

IRN also have very different body language than budgies. Things to pay attention to are head position, types of calls, wing posture, tail movement, and eye pinning. It is very easy to see a mature IRN's eyes pinning when they are excited. Some eye pinning is good, like they are interested in the veggie, but if the eye pinning is rather sustained and rapid, considered taking a step back. The bird may be over stimulated, irritated or even aroused. You will need to learn to read how they put all these motions together, but with some careful observation it will make sense. In my personal opinion Psittacula have very clear body language. Once you get a hang of how it differs from your budgie. They are very honest and pragmatic birds. So if they are signaling something, such as getting too excited, respect that they mean it. They are very dignified and noble birds and the more in tune you get with their body language the better it will be. They will come to trust someone who respects them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
One thing I can think of is IRNs don’t allopreen, don’t expect her to want or ask for scritches or anything.
I didn't know that either!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Any pics of Polly? :joyful:

I recently babysat for a lorikeet for 3 weeks, I definitely was out of my comfort zone with a species I knew nothing about but I certainly learned lots of things. I hope you have fun having Polly stay over with you :)

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Any pics of Polly? :joyful:

I recently babysat for a lorikeet for 3 weeks, I definitely was out of my comfort zone with a species I knew nothing about but I certainly learned lots of things. I hope you have fun having Polly stay over with you :)
I will send pics once I can get them. She seems to love my glasses, but I really don’t want her scratching them, so it’s hard for me to get too close. Definitely having fun listening to her whistles and watching her antics!