• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to stop biting as it's happening?

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
Fiona has been really on edge lately because my sister is coming home from college for the weekend, and she shares a room with me. Because of this, Fiona isn't very excited to have to share a room with her too! She acts like she wants to be around me, and even will fly to my shoulder on her own to preen on me: I've just been trying to leave her be since she's been so angry, but when she flies to me I guess she must want to be on me! She has plenty of room to walk around outside her cage away from me and enjoy time to herself, but she will voluntarily approach me and chirp like she wants me to pick her up. Even though she acts this way, she's been biting me extremely hard on my face, hands, and arms. It's really confusing why she's acting like she wants to be near me and then suddenly gets angry and attacks me.
As soon as she starts biting me, I immediately tell her "no" sternly and TRY to put her somewhere away from me in the same room. I don't really know what to do though because she will NOT let go once she starts! Even once I have her at her cage near a surface to "escape" from me, she continues biting down on me and I don't know how to get her off. She was struggling to climb up a spot that I have for her that's a little tall and she was looking at me like she needed help, and once I did she bit me and now my finger is red, swollen, and hurts to bend :( I don't want to act too aggressive with her, but I just don't know what to do when she's hurting me like that and I'm trying to help her get some time alone! What do you guys recommend? This is also happening when my sister is not in the room.

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
I'm not an expert, but I have red the more experienced bird parents say the best way to stop a bird from biting is to not let them get to the place or position where the trouble starts. So, It might be hard, but don't let her on your shoulder if it always ends up with biting. Don't use hands to help her get onto something, maybe you can use a spare perch? Or a wooden dowel?

If you have a spare perch near you I'd bet you can get her to land on that when she is flying to you and just place her somewhere near.

Just a few thoughts!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t believe your bird will be experiencing anxiety or behaviour changes because your sister is due home- if your sister was already home and there were changes your bird was dealing with then behaviour change would be more than expected in one way or another.

As said above- if your bird bites when on your shoulder then she should not be given the chance to sit there. My bird sits in my shoulder all the time but he never ever attempts to bite my face and if he did I simply would but give him the opportunity to be on my shoulder. If he bit my hand when he perched there then I’d use a wooden perch and not allow him on my body.
You might find some of the threads in the training court very informative and useful. The Training Court

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think you may find this article helpful;

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
First, don't let her near your face. And then it's hard, but can you figure out why she's biting? Is she hormonal? Did you change something? When I fostered my canary-wing he hated my bare arms. Don't ask me why but I always had to wear long sleeve shirts with him or he would nail me. Sometimes it's something small that triggers them and it can take a bit to figure out.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She may be jealous, is this new with your sister?
Or it could just be a bout of hormones that are happening.
I know mine will go off on behavior now and then. I just give them space until they're back to themselves.

Are you sure there's nothing medically bothering her? Sometimes mild infections/pains can cause behavior changes.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I'm not an expert, but I have red the more experienced bird parents say the best way to stop a bird from biting is to not let them get to the place or position where the trouble starts. So, It might be hard, but don't let her on your shoulder if it always ends up with biting. Don't use hands to help her get onto something, maybe you can use a spare perch? Or a wooden dowel?

If you have a spare perch near you I'd bet you can get her to land on that when she is flying to you and just place her somewhere near.

Just a few thoughts!
My exact thoughts, Don’t let your bird on your shoulder if they are biting you!!