• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to stop bird from chewing on thin glass?

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
Hi, hope everyone’s doing well .

So if you have never owned a sun conure, they are seriously high energy! Mine is constantly flying everywhere and chewing everything and I have given up on all the stuff he’s broken and chewed like the air conditioner and photo frames and many many more…

But my question is, I installed these wall lamps not too long ago and I noticed he likes to go to them to chew the edge of the glass at the top. I’ve tried calling him down and even scaring him everytime he goes there but he still keeps going and I’m worried that the glass is flimsy and that he’ll be able to break the edges and hurt himself. What can I do besides get rid of them?

Please check out the pic.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well, you could get rid of them, but I see they are new.

You could try switching them off and covering with a small towel.
Try setting up a nice stand/java tree with toys and treats with the idea of making that area more fun to be than on the lamp.
Set up a tension rod somewhere and hang a curtain to block access.

Sorry, I know none are really ideal :( Hopefully other members can think of more suggestions..

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
maybe buy some 1/4 inch stainless steel mesh. it is not cheap but you definitely don't want the zinc coated as it can be toxic if chewed on.
I bought some on Amazon years back.
Then make a little cone and affix it to the top of the lamp (it looks like the bulb sticks up a bit?) It won't be affected by having the lamp on.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Hi, hope everyone’s doing well .

So if you have never owned a sun conure, they are seriously high energy! Mine is constantly flying everywhere and chewing everything and I have given up on all the stuff he’s broken and chewed like the air conditioner and photo frames and many many more…

But my question is, I installed these wall lamps not too long ago and I noticed he likes to go to them to chew the edge of the glass at the top. I’ve tried calling him down and even scaring him everytime he goes there but he still keeps going and I’m worried that the glass is flimsy and that he’ll be able to break the edges and hurt himself. What can I do besides get rid of them?

Please check out the pic.
Turn the entire fixture upside down. I think it would look pretty cool.

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
Well, you could get rid of them, but I see they are new.

You could try switching them off and covering with a small towel.
Try setting up a nice stand/java tree with toys and treats with the idea of making that area more fun to be than on the lamp.
Set up a tension rod somewhere and hang a curtain to block access.

Sorry, I know none are really ideal :( Hopefully other members can think of more suggestions..
Haha that’s what my house looks like right now! Towels on the lights. He has a play area in the balcony and he does go there often, but he must have adhd because he never neglects the ac or his favourite shelf and the few photo frames that are still standing. Then he still finds plenty of time to chew on the lamps and on the top edge of my brand new tv (which he seems to think is a comfortable place to go potty!)

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
I think that’s the best solution, and it’s possible actually. But I already installed them almost halfway down from the ceiling (thought my bird wouldn’t be interested lower down, there are shelves and curtain rods higher up that he likes more), upside down they would look even lower. Ocd and parrots don’t really mix I guess haha

Last edited:

Rebel

I think that’s the best solution, and it’s possible actually. But I already installed them almost halfway down from the ceiling (thought my bird wouldn’t be interested lower down, there are shelves and curtain rods higher up that he likes more), upside down they would look even lower. Ocd and parrots don’t really mix I guess haha
I gave that a thought about being lower upside down but i wasnt sure how high you had them. You could easily try it. Maybe youll get used to it. Lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you simply turn them light fittings up the other way so the open part is on the bottom?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You and I had the same thought for a solution I see!
I actually thought they’d been installed the wrong way round lol. I’ve only ever seen them the other way- like with the opening at the bottom, they’d be filled with dead mozzies in no time here lol.

Rebel

I actually thought they’d been installed the wrong way round lol. I’ve only ever seen them the other way- like with the opening at the bottom, they’d be filled with dead mozzies in no time here lol.
Normally they do hang with the opening towards the floor. I figured these were some kind of other style.

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
Hahaha dead mozzies it took me a second to process I’ve never heard that before!

Arashy

Meeting neighbors
Normally they do hang with the opening towards the floor. I figured these were some kind of other style.
I swear this is how they’ve been advertised so I didn’t put them the other way!

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hahaha dead mozzies it took me a second to process I’ve never heard that before!
We have recently had some slight flooding so many local areas around where I live are having problems with mosquitoes. We were getting a 2lt bucket of dead ones out of the zappers each day at one point there was so many of them.
I’ve just moved and there’s no mozzies! It’s wonderful.

Rebel

I swear this is how they’ve been advertised so I didn’t put them the other way!
I believe you. That being said, what holds the glass? Maybe they cant be turned upside down.

Rebel

I was wondering what a mozzie was too. Have never heard that before. Skeeter yes, mozzie no.