• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to stick train green cheek conure?

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
My green cheek conure is a quick learner. I've already taught him how to wave on command! I'd like to stick train him though. However, when I try to guide him towards the stick he bites it and does not let go! It's super hard to pull the stick from his mouth and I don't want to pull too hard to encourage this behavior, or hurt him in any way. How can I get him to only touch the tip of the stick? I also use a clicker. Please help, thank you!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm the opposite with my cockatiel, I've target trained (Is that what you mean by "stick training"?) but am still working on wave. Also working on tunnel, spin and "come".

For him holing on the stick, just let him continue chewing and when he pauses, pull it away and give him a treat. Eventually he will realize touching the stick and letting go will get him a treat. I assume you haven't been trying long, it just takes patience.

This youtube video helps:

This girl has some good training videos, and she has a GCC.

Good luck, I hope I could help!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Mine tended to want to bite it and hold on too. I think I held it just out of their bite reach and profusely praise them when they touched the stick with their beaks. It took some time for them to train me...vice versa, I think :okwink: