• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to spot a good mom

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use roudybush
I have that one linked there. Info is on page 9 (or slide 11 of 28 - first two are the cover of the booklet).
You can download and print off the page you need for reference as the formula will change as the birds get older :)

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
I have that one linked there. Info is on page 9 (or slide 11 of 28 - first two are the cover of the booklet).
You can download and print off the page you need for reference as the formula will change as the birds get older :)
Thanks for your help

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
how many birds are in with them?

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Large avairy with 3 other budgies

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Update i took mother budgie and have brought her and her nestbox and given her babys for the day to trial how she would do so far shes doing good and I might just keep her inside to rear her babys so she's able to get food easier and have more warmth and I can keep an easy eye on her

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just a note about the box,
Remove the plastic and fill the base of the box with the shavings, a good 4-5 inches deep. Make a little cup dent near a corner to put the chick and the egg in.

Did you take the egg away from the hen? You only said you took the chick.

Reactions: tka

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Sorry late reply
I had brought mother budgie and her two jellybeans
And she's doing well feeding them and looking after herself
And I've just weighed them yesterday and they are doing great
Just a note about the box,
Remove the plastic and fill the base of the box with the shavings, a good 4-5 inches deep. Make a little cup dent near a corner to put the chick and the egg in.

Did you take the egg away from the hen? You only said you took the chick.

Attachments

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
First time parents don't always get things right... and if they can't figure it out on their own, it sometimes helps to have them around an experienced pair.

She may be over-protective of the chicks, and that could change as they grow older. That is, in a week or two, she may allow her mate to start feeding them as well. The older they get, the harder it will be to keep all of them fed without extra help.

I would say an important thing is to make sure you are feeding the parents a healthy, varied diet. Even if they are picky eaters, continue feeding a varied diet!

Moms doing a good job
WEEK 2 NOW
BABYS GROWING
I did bring her inside to have more help and not worry too much as I can keep a good eye on her

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When you put the baby on the scales, line it with kitchen roll first and when you place the baby down, tuck their legs under their body.