• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to spot a good mom

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
I have a first time mom bird
She seems to be doing it all on her own too so this slightly worries me but she's doing good one egg has already hatched and then she's got one more egg to go
I don't really want to interfere but I'm just wanting all the best
She has been super aggressive and protective of her baby's too and I've put food bowls and water closet to her nesting box
I just want to do good by her and her babys thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She seems to be doing it all on her own too so this slightly worries me
Is the male not involved?

It is good you brought the food and water closer for her.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
He's there and seems to be keeping in on her and looking out for her but he's not really feeding her or anything shes doing it all for herself

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´ll tage some budgie breeders for you (so they get an alert for your thread when they log in next);
@PoukieBear @Budgiebonkers

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Thanks for that one zara

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
How old is the baby(s)? Are you feeding the mom hard-boiled eggs? (I read something that you were supposed to otherwise she'll eat her baby? ) @PoukieBear ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(I read something that you were supposed to otherwise she'll eat her baby? )
I do not know where you saw that but it is not true.

You can offer a little boiled egg to the parents for a calcium boost, but if they are on a good diet anyway, it is just optional.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
First time parents don't always get things right... and if they can't figure it out on their own, it sometimes helps to have them around an experienced pair.

She may be over-protective of the chicks, and that could change as they grow older. That is, in a week or two, she may allow her mate to start feeding them as well. The older they get, the harder it will be to keep all of them fed without extra help.

I would say an important thing is to make sure you are feeding the parents a healthy, varied diet. Even if they are picky eaters, continue feeding a varied diet!

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I do not know where you saw that but it is not true.

You can offer a little boiled egg to the parents for a calcium boost, but if they are on a good diet anyway, it is just optional.
Haha, thanks for clarifying.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
First time parents don't always get things right... and if they can't figure it out on their own, it sometimes helps to have them around an experienced pair.

She may be over-protective of the chicks, and that could change as they grow older. That is, in a week or two, she may allow her mate to start feeding them as well. The older they get, the harder it will be to keep all of them fed without extra help.

I would say an important thing is to make sure you are feeding the parents a healthy, varied diet. Even if they are picky eaters, continue feeding a varied diet!
They are getting a optional diet of lots of chop
Pellets and fesh food and grinded pellets in wet mix to make it easy for mum
And she has got breeding aid so no lack of calcium

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca

Sadly I don't have an experienced pair ?

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
UPDATE
I HAVE TAKEN ONE OF HER HATCHED AS SHE WAS LEAVING THEM IN THE NEST AND THEY WERE GETTING COLD SO I MADE THE HARD CHOICE TO TAKE HER BABY
JELLYBEAN HAS GOT A FULL TUMMY NOW AND IN THE BROODER

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hopefully the little one makes it! It's tough taking them at a really young age.

If you don't have an experienced pair, and you want to keep breeding the pair you have, you may need to consider looking for an experienced pair. Otherwise, keep allowing them to breed but understand you may need to intervene if they don't get things 'right'.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Hopefully the little one makes it! It's tough taking them at a really young age.

If you don't have an experienced pair, and you want to keep breeding the pair you have, you may need to consider looking for an experienced pair. Otherwise, keep allowing them to breed but understand you may need to intervene if they don't get things 'right'.
She won't be breeding again thats for sure its not fair on her babys I would love to rear the babys and everything I love babys but not fair on her mental state aswell

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
NOW AND IN THE BROODER
Be sure it´s lined with aspen or coarse pine shavings, a good 4-5 inches, press down, then make a little dip near a corner to put the chick in.
Keep eye on temp, 1-day-old chicks need 99F temp in their brooder, that temp goes down one degree farenheit per day.
Be sure you are mixing formula as per package instructions, chicks that are under one week old need their formula altered daily - there should be a little chart in the formula package, if not I have all the instructions for most of the popular brands listed on this thread;

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Be sure it´s lined with aspen or coarse pine shavings, a good 4-5 inches, press down, then make a little dip near a corner to put the chick in.
Keep eye on temp, 1-day-old chicks need 99F temp in their brooder, that temp goes down one degree farenheit per day.
Be sure you are mixing formula as per package instructions, chicks that are under one week old need their formula altered daily - there should be a little chart in the formula package, if not I have all the instructions for most of the popular brands listed on this thread;
Thanks zara ours formula dosent have the instructions

We are off to get some pine tomorrow as I have none at home

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can use shredded paper temporarily, but it´s not the best solution long term.

What brand of formula is it?