• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to show a parrot you don't fear them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read in the past that one shouldn't show signs of fear towards the parrot in question.
I'm sure they can *sense* fear to some degree but apparently there's ways for us to fake it.:p
I am wondering what would be an indication of fear in the parrot's mind?:huh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
"Not showing fear" sounds like trying to "dominate" a parrot, which is one of the worse things a parrot owner could do to their bird.
BITING AND DOMINANCE - How One Causes The Other

If a person is actually afraid of a bird, they should not try handling a bird on their own until they can build up the confidence to do so.

If in training, it's better to teach the parrot what you want without getting bitten rather than force a parrot to do what you want and getting bitten in the process.

Positive Reinforcement: Having a parrot *want* to do the behaviors that you teach.
Negative Reinforcement (aka 'dominance'): Forcing a parrot to do what you *want* and not what he wants.

Parrot & Bird Training Terminology | Good Bird Training
PARROTS AS PETS
WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? EFFECTIVENESS IS NOT ENOUGH

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your body language and energy speaks loud and clear to them. You can't fake no fear.

I agree with Monica. You shouldn't be handling a parrot if you are truly afraid of them until you conquer your fear.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I've had to face my fears and push past them after getting bit pretty severely by my YNA years ago (bite was totally my fault), and again after each subsequent bite. When he's hormonal, I try not to switch up his routine, but to make feel less apprehensive and more confident, I do take some extra measures to protect myself, like padding my arm and putting a long sleeve sweatshirt over the padding. It doesn't necessarily stop me from getting bit, if I somehow miss his 'signs', but it does make the bites less painful and helps me not to dramatically respond to being bitten. I also believe that my being more confident and less fearful actually transmits to Max and that helps both of us.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I totally agree with Monica. My mom is scared of Kiwi because he drew blood from her once. Now, whenever he tries to go to her, she pulls away and does this nervous laugh. He knows she is scared of him, and it makes him dislike her even more. We have stopped trying to get him to go to her because it is too stressful for both of them.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
I don't think their is a way of faking it. Aly was my first big bird and I showed no fear, spoke to her in a stern tone, not scared to handle her, if I got bit I got bit. You just have to swallow it up I guess.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Learning to read a bird's body language is a good step I think. Each species is different. I volunteer at a sanctuary and as you can imagine we do get aggressive birds. I never go at a bird like a "bull in a china shop" but rather take some time to talk to and observe. Some times it takes sever encounters before I will offer a skritch or pet. Believe me they know when you are afraid

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I've had to face my fears and push past them after getting bit pretty severely by my YNA years ago (bite was totally my fault), and again after each subsequent bite. When he's hormonal, I try not to switch up his routine, but to make feel less apprehensive and more confident, I do take some extra measures to protect myself, like padding my arm and putting a long sleeve sweatshirt over the padding. It doesn't necessarily stop me from getting bit, if I somehow miss his 'signs', but it does make the bites less painful and helps me not to dramatically respond to being bitten. I also believe that my being more confident and less fearful actually transmits to Max and that helps both of us.

well put.

pulling your hand/arm away fast is a good sign to a bird of fear. It gets some macaws riled up into thinking they can fake strike to scare you off. :p

my sennie got VERY agressive with me the past couple of years, which was a total shock since he was my bird for 10 years with out a problem, I could flip him upside down etc.... now I read him much better, when he's willing to be held I jump on the opportunity QUICK, or else I lose it. Confidence and practice is key! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.