• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Sex A Baby Budgie

What sex is your budgie? (:

• Total voters

1xa.ngelix

Moving in
Real Name
Angel
Right, so recently, I bought myself a third budgie bird (couldn't help myself!). He was said to be a male (three months old), but upon closer examination, I saw an anomaly!

He has a deeper blue colour around the bottom edges of his cere, which fades into a really light, almost pastel, green around his nostrils. He also has a tan colour under his nostrils!

I'm having a hard time determining his sex now, because I was told only female budgies could have tanned or white ceres. I've also gotten some internet scares by telling me he could have cancer.

20220302_194416.jpg
HIM! :)

Help?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have a clearer picture? The blue of my boys’ ceres varies, likely due to mutation.

Edited to ask if it’s just the picture or their feathers are in rough shape. Also, how old is this bird?

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He is a boy, and older than suggested. But, more importantly, I'm also concerned about his feather condition.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Same here. He looks like he's over preening, plucking, or going through a really tough molt right now. You should probably bring him to an AV to make sure it's not something more serious.

A.K

Three things:

1. Welcome to the Avenue!

2. Can we have a clearer photo? It’d be easier to figure out his/her gender.

3. Feather condition doesn’t look good. You should take him to an Avian Vet, just to make sure everything’s okay. As for cancer, a vet can give you a proper diagnosis. They are the experts when it comes to avian illnesses. It’s good to get a checkup anyway, but do ask about the feathers. Is he/she in quarantine right now?

Please keep us updated!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest a vet visit if you have not already done that. Yes the feathers do not look what I would call normal. It could be a very serious issue.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
As stated above he is male. His feathers are of concern. Please get an avian vet's opinion on this. He is definitely older that 3 months. He could have been subjected to another bird's attack or perhaps a plucking issue. In any case he needs an avian vet's assessment.

1xa.ngelix

Moving in
Real Name
Angel
EVERYONE, his feather condition was caused by his parents overplucking him as a baby. Ever since we got him, we've been monitoring his behaviour and he is completely fine. He's been growing new feathers amazing. I appreciate your concern :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
EVERYONE, his feather condition was caused by his parents overplucking him as a baby. Ever since we got him, we've been monitoring his behaviour and he is completely fine. He's been growing new feathers amazing. I appreciate your concern :)
Great news. Photos please. We love photos :D

A.K

Awesome!

Great news. Photos please. We love photos :D
Yes, we all love photos! Photos!!! Hey, if you post some, maybe someone could help with gender?

1xa.ngelix

Moving in
Real Name
Angel
As stated above he is male. His feathers are of concern. Please get an avian vet's opinion on this. He is definitely older that 3 months. He could have been subjected to another bird's attack or perhaps a plucking issue. In any case he needs an avian vet's assessment.
I can tell he was younger than 4 months by watching his eyes :) His irises recently appeared, because he is now 4 months of age :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He's looking much better already. Everyone else can see he's a boy now. :heart:

Scorpi0

So I believe my youngest bird Icey is a girl. Shes usually quiet like a female and has her moments where she gets territorial. She is about 5 months old and her cere looks like a female’s. But my wife keeps thinking that shes actually a male. So I took a few pictures…what do u guys think?? 93BB03C3-11E4-4006-8698-9A4C27C64EE8.jpeg BCC10067-C58C-4E08-88B7-54FA6F9A46A6.jpeg 9C695175-5743-48C8-B6EE-ABBE85F16950.jpeg FC651415-5C0F-404C-AB8C-8B407AFE5E80.jpeg 8B26A7EC-F76B-48D7-8634-BF42E2BDB8B0.jpeg

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I second that. Young females and females out of breeding season have light blue ceres, with some exceptions (ino, recessive pied).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I second that. Young females and females out of breeding season have light blue ceres, with some exceptions (ino, recessive pied).
Ino and Recessive pied females are no exceptions. Mutations can only affect male ceres.