• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to serve lettuce to finches

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Recently I've been giving my finches some lettuce. They RELISH IT! They've even started eating it from my hands! The thing is that I don't want my hand to be my birds' only source of lettuce. Even when I clip it they will just remove it from the clip and make a mess out of it. Is there another way to serve lettuce?

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
I serve my finches the same chop as my other birds, so the pieces are quite small. Maybe yours would appreciate the lettuce chopped up? You can also try stringing it onto a skewer if they seem to prefer the large leaves. Mine seem to treat the teeny bits as food but the large bits (whole basil leaves, for example) as nesting material and just play around with it. I do put edible flowers and leaves on their skewers, but I think they shred those more than eat them.

Jogging around the block
I had trouble with mine pulling it off and making a mess/nesting material too, experimenting with different clips on different parts of the leaf might help to make it less prone to getting pulled off. Some will accept it in little pieces, not all birds, but some will.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I serve my finches the same chop as my other birds, so the pieces are quite small. Maybe yours would appreciate the lettuce chopped up? You can also try stringing it onto a skewer if they seem to prefer the large leaves. Mine seem to treat the teeny bits as food but the large bits (whole basil leaves, for example) as nesting material and just play around with it. I do put edible flowers and leaves on their skewers, but I think they shred those more than eat them.
I might try the skewers because I already tried chop and my birds would rather starve themselves than eat chop.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I had trouble with mine pulling it off and making a mess/nesting material too, experimenting with different clips on different parts of the leaf might help to make it less prone to getting pulled off. Some will accept it in little pieces, not all birds, but some will.
Ok thanks. My birds actually seem to prefer pretty large leaves.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
how about putting it into a foraging ball like this that you can either hang or let roll?
There are a number of types on Amazon ("foraging ball for birds") but this one unscrews so is easier to fill

1659972490283.png