• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to season cast iron cookware safely?

Mavet

Moving in
Hi all,

I’m getting to the point where I should probably be re-seasoning my cast iron frying pan, but I’m wondering how to do this safely with birds in the house...?

What’s the best procedure to use - I had intended on using olive oil - that won’t be harmful to my birds, but that will still be effective for maintaining the pan?

Thanks all!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You want to watch the burn pounts of oils. Olive oil, Coconut oil & a few others burn very easily & creat bunches of smoke. I've always used canola or vegetable oil. Here is some infomation from Lodge company that makes & sells Cast Iron. This is a page, I believe my Step Dad just told me about because I'm in the process of getting ready to recondition my Granfathers set of fry pans. Good luck!!!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I season all of mine with plain old crisco. I follow this guys method. I have a lot of cast iron that I have stripped and seasoned

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hubby just seasoned my mom's antique skillet. I'll have to ask what oil he used.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Crisco here too

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure... I'm also not sure who to ask. Stumped!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Has anyone tried BuzzyWaxx? It's a blend of Canola, grape seed oil and local beeswax. The cast iron community swears by it. Is beeswax safe? BuzzyWaxx
A lot of the cast iron collectors like the crisbee puck. I only ever use plain old Crisco for seasoning.

patrickste

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
patricksteve
Vegetable oil and shortening are the most commonly recommended oils used for seasoning, but according to Lodge, you can use any oil of your choice. Rub: Use a clean cloth or paper towel to rub the coat around the entire skillet. Flip the skillet over: Don't forget the outside — and bottom — of the skillet. I have a electric smoker. I am a food lover. I like late night bbq parties..So I am sure this info is beneficial for you...

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
Wait your supposed to season the pan? How did I never learn about this? Umm well we ditched Olive oil for Avocado oil because of its low smoke point which I would assume is better for their lungs, it is harder to find avocado oil compared to olive oil though.