• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How to repair 2 bars

2weetbirds

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
My cockatoo has taken out 1 of his bars out of his back of big cage n starting to loosen another. I need to know how can I put it back fast without harming him. I've tried new toys more perches. I've ran out of ideas cause he can bite bad..the problem is these bars run from top to bottom in one part .thanks for any help .

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think you might need a stronger cage actually...

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WOW! The only thing I can suggest is go to Lowe's & get a 1/4 inch thick piece of plexi glass. It should be wide enough to cover the next bars on each side. Get big thick metal washers, flat head bolts & wing nuts. Stainless steel if possible. Put the flat head bolts on the inside & wing nuts on the out side. You'll need some holes drilled to place them. We've used this method on bars that our birds have broken the welds on.

2weetbirds

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
I think you might need a stronger cage actually...
This is the strongest one they make .he's never bothered it for 15 yrs .but his attitude has changed last 2 yrs .and just kept trying to pop it n finally got first bar out in jan now 2 bars down pops it with his beak started yesterday . Hes very spoiled n so is my goffin .

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clearly, he wants to chew on something in that spot. You can have someone weld the bar back on. However, being a cockatoo, he might fixate on that spot and bare metal can be problematic if they start chewing. You also have to be careful that it's a decent welder that knows what they are doing and doesn't leave little rough bits of metal that can be chipped off and ingested. Personally, I'd have a long term goal of getting the bird into a cage with thicker bars. My large cockatoo is in a cage with .25 inch thick bars. The cage you have looks like it might be more suitable for a conure up to maybe a goffin's sized bird, but not a medium to large sized cockatoo. Short term, I'd go to the lumber yard and get a 2x6 untreated pine board cut and measured to go vertically from the cage grate to the top of the cage when fitted inside the cage. Drill two holes in it and bolt it on with some bolts, washers and wingnuts. If he wants to chew something in that spot, this gives him something to chew. Also, most cockatoos can't get through a 2x6 all that fast. If he's hard core chewing, you might have to replace it every few days or weekly. I'm guessing most cockatoo will take a while to get through it. Or might go through phases where they chew through a couple of them fast and then start to slow down when it stops being new or hormones settle down.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the strongest one they make .he's never bothered it for 15 yrs .but his attitude has changed last 2 yrs .and just kept trying to pop it n finally got first bar out in jan now 2 bars down pops it with his beak started yesterday . Hes very spoiled n so is my goffin .
Who is "they." What country do you live in? In the USA, there are several cage manufacturers that will ship you a stronger cage.

2weetbirds

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
WOW! The only thing I can suggest is go to Lowe's & get a 1/4 inch thick piece of plexi glass. It should be wide enough to cover the next bars on each side. Get big thick metal washers, flat head bolts & wing nuts. Stainless steel if possible. Put the flat head bolts on the inside & wing nuts on the out side. You'll need some holes drilled to place them. We've used this method on bars that our birds have broken the welds on.
I've did this n it took him 10 min to brake the plexi glass lol n it was thick

2weetbirds

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
Clearly, he wants to chew on something in that spot. You can have someone weld the bar back on. However, being a cockatoo, he might fixate on that spot and bare metal can be problematic if they start chewing. You also have to be careful that it's a decent welder that knows what they are doing and doesn't leave little rough bits of metal that can be chipped off and ingested. Personally, I'd have a long term goal of getting the bird into a cage with thicker bars. My large cockatoo is in a cage with .25 inch thick bars. The cage you have looks like it might be more suitable for a conure up to maybe a goffin's sized bird, but not a medium to large sized cockatoo. Short term, I'd go to the lumber yard and get a 2x6 untreated pine board cut and measured to go vertically from the cage grate to the top of the cage when fitted inside the cage. Drill two holes in it and bolt it on with some bolts, washers and wingnuts. If he wants to chew something in that spot, this gives him something to chew. Also, most cockatoos can't get through a 2x6 all that fast. If he's hard core chewing, you might have to replace it every few days or weekly. I'm guessing most cockatoo will take a while to get through it. Or might go through phases where they chew through a couple of them fast and then start to slow down when it stops being new or hormones settle down.
My cage was made for cockatoos and McCall birds thickets bars they make. Cant tell by picture sorry. I've even put the bar he took out had it sorted twisted till it came out again then put Plexi glass to cover n. Mounted tight next added more toys in front of it next day all wooden toys all broken. Plexi glass broken. He just started doing this few weeks ago .I make him different wood toys cause they only last 1 day usually. He has retaken me for his mate since dec n wants to kill my goffin bird he use to play every day with . So I only let 1 at a time out. I've been researching which more food might calm him.down lol .hes 20 years old people age. They both love their bath .helps them from being dry n pretty white an yellow feathers .I thank you for info

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My Macaw breaks the bars in his current cage. I have covered the areas with wood he can chew which I can easily replace as often as needed.

What country are you in? Someone here may be able to help you find a cage with thicker bars that is safer for your bird if you are willing to share the country you are in.

2weetbirds

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
My Macaw breaks the bars in his current cage. I have covered the areas with wood he can chew which I can easily replace as often as needed.

What country are you in? Someone here may be able to help you find a cage with thicker bars that is safer for your bird if you are willing to share the country you are in.
I'm in usa. N I have the biggest cage n thickest bars just didnt get the key for this one when I picked it up barely fit in bigger suv .he gets all the wood he needs every day to chew up . N more toys n I've got toys n things hanging on different sides of cage n even bought him a crooked pole to play on n he chewd into in 1 day.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm in usa. N I have the biggest cage n thickest bars just didnt get the key for this one when I picked it up barely fit in bigger suv .he gets all the wood he needs every day to chew up . N more toys n I've got toys n things hanging on different sides of cage n even bought him a crooked pole to play on n he chewd into in 1 day.
I note you have part of a baffle cage hanging inside your birds cage- I am curious if you can tell me how different the size of the bars on that toy cage are to the bars on your bird cage?
The baffle cage bars look to be much larger but it could just be an optical illusion.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My cage was made for cockatoos and McCall birds thickets bars they make. Cant tell by picture sorry. I've even put the bar he took out had it sorted twisted till it came out again then put Plexi glass to cover n. Mounted tight next added more toys in front of it next day all wooden toys all broken. Plexi glass broken. He just started doing this few weeks ago .I make him different wood toys cause they only last 1 day usually. He has retaken me for his mate since dec n wants to kill my goffin bird he use to play every day with . So I only let 1 at a time out. I've been researching which more food might calm him.down lol .hes 20 years old people age. They both love their bath .helps them from being dry n pretty white an yellow feathers .I thank you for info
There are several cage manufacturers here in the States. I've had a few shipped freight to my front door. They aren't always cheap, but unless you have a giant moluccan cockatoo, you probably don't need quite the same quality as a macaw. But, you still need a better quality cage than you have. I can't physically transport the kind of cage that I need for my larger birds with my SUV either. I need to have them shipped to me or wait for a bird fair to come through and borrow a friend's full sized pick up truck to handle the kind of box that a large cockatoo cage requires. What kind of cockatoo do you have that is doing this damage to his cage?
Just because a cage is advertised as being suitable for a cockatoo, doesn't mean it actually is. I would expect a good number of umbrella cockatoos to be able to break the welds of a cage like you have if they put their mind to it. When it comes to large parrots, you often can't get what you need locally.

2weetbirds

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
I note you have part of a baffle cage hanging inside your birds cage- I am curious if you can tell me how different the size of the bars on that toy cage are to the bars on your bird cage?
The baffle cage bars look to be much larger but it could just be an optical illusion.
That toy cage that holds some of his toys is much smaller bars .it just looks bigger cause I as closer to it.. put wood blocks n toys in that to keep him busy but he took off the lock nut n took off the top to take his blocks out easier to chew up faster lol hes also got n fruit stick to keep fruit on but he rather use it for toy to see how fast it can take nut off n drop fruit off n put in his water bowls lol same goes for his cover they have to be replaced every 2 mths . Got expensive to keep buying so I make his now since his cage is so big.