• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to rehome a bird with behavior issues

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many people here know about my Wasabi, A male DYA, who is about 33. Since he was abandoned by the last person who had him, we don’t know his real age for sure. Wasabi screams, bites and strikes out. He is better than he was, but with hormones raging, he is an extra bit of a challenge right now. I don’t know any Amazon people in person. I know people only online.

How is it even possible to rehome such a bird with an experienced Amazon person who knows what he or she is doing and is up for such a challenging bird? I don’t want him stuck in a sanctuary. I asked a behaviorist for advice and that person asked if I had contacted a sanctuary. That person had no further comment or advice.

I just don’t know what to do. I do not want him to fall in the wrong hands.

Thank you for reading this. I feel horrible to have to plan to rehome him eventually, but I won’t live forever and my back is quite bad.

I know some people here think I am a bad bird mom, and those opinions really don’t concern me, but I would really appreciate not being reminded of those opinions. This post has been difficult enough to write. Life circumstances are rough right now. Everybody has those, I know.

Thanks very much.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I know at The Gabriel Foundation staff works with the birds, and then also with prospective adopters. They also provide sanctuary care for a fee if the owner prefers that. All birds there are allowed into outdoor aviaries daily except in the worst weather, and they are allowed to interact or bond with other birds, but no breeding is allowed to produce babies. Sanctuary isn't so bad, unless the bird is extremely people oriented and on the other hand some of those become ambassadors.
I'm sure at least some other rescues/sanctuaries do the same.
And I dealt with a hormonal, flighted, male BFA. Loved the challenge, and I'd do it again except my flock is big enough and I'm getting older too. Those people are out there though!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:sadhug2: You're a great bird mom because you want what's best for him & are planning for his future. We should all have a plan in place.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I absolutely feel for you,Wasabi has been such a staple of the forum for so many years and I have always been in awe of your level of care and understanding with him and his fiery ways. I truly hope that you're able to find the perfect place for him to land. You have given him so much over the years. Without you who knows what his life would have been. :hug8:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I absolutely feel for you,Wasabi has been such a staple of the forum for so many years and I have always been in awe of your level of care and understanding with him and his fiery ways. I truly hope that you're able to find the perfect place for him to land. You have given him so much over the years. Without you who knows what his life would have been. :hug8:
Thank you. I am not the best bird mom, but he could do worse. I am certain he would have been flipped and rehomed many times if not for a very stubborn person and her very understanding spouse. The spouse is considered the boss. Not me - I am just another bird who annoys W.

You know, I wonder if moving his cage has annoyed him. We had to move it in order to fit in a lift chair. He was in the corner, in his macaw room sized cage, but now he is near a window. I would shut the curtains if something upset or scared him. He seems fine with the move.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
There are plenty of people with experience and who are not scared off by parrots with behavior Issues. I've taken in behavior issues, because I am comfortable in my experience and abilities. Infact those are the ones I look for ! I'm pretty full house but if a challenging quaker in need id make room.

Very refreshing that you will be honest and upfront! There is the right person out there for him. I sincerely hope you find them .

You are just the in-between angel , and now you will help him find his forever home.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sent you a PM.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You are a wonderful bird mom. Few people would have dealt with an aggressive bird like that. We just had a lovebird returned to the rescue because the person said he was aggressive. A tiny lovebird.....(Who is doing great in his new foster home by the way). There are places and people who will take him. I don't know where you're located but if you want to PM I will see if I can come up with some suggestions.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
IMO you don't need a Amazon knowledgeable person, you need a person with heart, stubbornness, patience, a zest for life and a willingness to learn.
I'm not sure though where to find such a person.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
you need a person with heart, stubbornness, patience, a zest for life and a willingness to learn.
I'm not sure though where to find such a person.
... says Chaos' mom. :embarassed:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I get it. Secret is going thru a period right now. Only screams when I'm in the vicinity! What the tarnation is going on?

Hubby is now putting a baby blanket on top of cage after the screaming starts. That works for us (and protects eardrums from working from home).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
You are wonderful bird mama. I'm not sure where you are but there a group in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and North Dakota that helps with Behavioral problems with parrots
Might be worth looking into.