• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to react?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I definitely had to "desensitize" my lovebird to my hands. She was completely terrified of humans when I got her. She was 5 months old, but a little over a year later she loves to sit on my hand and get scritches. You've gotten lots of great advice already, but I just wanted to mention how I worked with my lovebird about stepping up. I would offer treats and change where I put it on my hand so eventually she'd have to step on me to get it. This took months, but we went totally at her pace. An open hand is suuuuper scary so once she was willing to take a treat from my open hand, it was a milestone. For a long time she wouldn't step up without being offered a treat, and even now to go back in her cage she requires a "fee." I really don't mind, it's just our exchange and our routine. But after awhile she started just hopping onto my hand or flying to me without me even asking sometimes so it definitely shifted once she really trusted me. Of course, every bird is different and some never allow being handled. I have two linnies who are super hand shy and are not interested in training. They actually get mad and yell at me if I get my hands too close! In an emergency I definitely have had to just grab them. I hate it but they seem to accept that I'm not trying to hurt them. Or so I think. Let us know how it goes!
Your treat positioning made me think of something Pamela taught me called 'feeding for position.' I use the treat to lure Chipper onto my arm, then use the treat to move him down my arm, closer to my wrist. He also won't step up without the treat, but maybe one day!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your treat positioning made me think of something Pamela taught me called 'feeding for position.' I use the treat to lure Chipper onto my arm, then use the treat to move him down my arm, closer to my wrist. He also won't step up without the treat, but maybe one day!
Ms. Pamela is a pretty smart lady isn’t she. A mentor for everyone.

497789C2-6BEF-4234-A9BC-4A94FE7B5798.jpeg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Personally, I would not recommend feeding cheese to birds... besides the fact that they don't have the enzymes necessary to break down lactose, cheese can cross crop impaction.

Cheese Ingestion can Equal Death in Psittacine Birds

From the sounds of it though, it just sounds like she needs more time to settle in, learn to trust you and just more training overall. :) If she wont make those few steps, then don't make her! Instead, do set her up for success by rewarding her for what she *WILL* do!