• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to put on a harness

scant1

Moving in
Hello, I recently bought a harness for my newly flighted cockateil. I have watched YouTube videos about how to put it on, but the birds in the video are comfortable with their wings being touched. My cockateil is not comfortable with his wings being touched ever. How would I get him more comfortable with his wings being touched.

Lorenzo19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
With my bird I had mini-training sessions with him every day. I started by touching his wing quickly and giving him a treat, and once he was comfortable with that touch with wing and leave your finger on it longer. Keep increasing the time and once he is completely comfortable with that place 2 fingers and then 3 fingers until he/she is comfortable with you putting your whole hand on his wing. Then start to try to lift his wing a little and giving a treat and keep lifting it higher every time. I hope it works out!:D

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara
You got that (I think it was) B. Hendrich? Video link on how to do it slow & properly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you have the aviator harness a DVD should have come with it showing you how to train them to accept the handling they need to assist in putting the harness on.
It is all a slow process of training a bit each day (a few short sessions daily) to get them ok with wing touching and lifting, head going through the loop, being put a bit off balance while you tighten the belly strap up.
It is not likely something you’ll achieve quickly but if you can work on the above things with consistency and positive reinforcement you should get there.
Although I can put the harness on my bird- he hates it with a passion and is miserable the whole time. He is much happier going outside in his carrier which is unfortunate for me lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara
You got that (I think it was) B. Hendrich? Video link on how to do it slow & properly.
Yes I have posted it on the forum, I'll try find it but I'm using my mobile phone.

Edit, foudn it,

If you have the aviator harness a DVD should have come with it showing you how to train them to accept the handling they need to assist in putting the harness on.
Here is that video,