• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Properly hold a bird to check its flight wings?

Dale Felton

Moving in
Real Name
Dale Felton
Hi everyone, so today I brought home our new Pacific parrotlet, the owner of the store is required to cut its flight feathers before he can sell them and he did with no issues. about 10 min ago my little fella was jumping around and i noticed blood on the cage and then took him out and saw that one of his feathers was bleeding. It was not bleeding when the feathers were cut so Im guessing he just cut very close and the bird was messing with his toys and managed to rub it wrong maybe? It seems like it has stopped bleeding but just am curious as to how you hold a parrotlet still enough to open its wings to check without risking him getting hurt or me getting bit(I tried to a few different times and each time his little head was still able to reach for my thumb lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hate that so many pet stores insist on clipping. I am afraid I don't have a good suggestion. With my birds, I can get them to open their wings for me by gently putting my finger under their wing but since your bird is new, I doubt he will do that for you. I hope he's okay.

@Birdbabe ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With a new bird that is not yet gentle, the best thing is to towel him and pull out the wing to be looked at - gently. He will be POed at you, but will get ove it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds to me like a blood feather was cut ,and why did they trim him? Were you asked, or requested it? If you hold bird gently in one hand and pull the wing to see what's the issue, he may nip or bite, but, hes scared and in a new place. As for the bleeding, put some flour, cornstarch, or cayenne pepper on it, pack the chosen thing on the end of bleeding feather and press gently for a minute or so till it stops bleeding.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
People should walk out of a store where cutting flights is a policy. I hope the bleeding has stopped.

Kanokoro

Moving in
Real Name
Kano
You can either try towelling, or holding him with something like a gardening glove on to prevent any injuries. Make sure the head is secured and support their body weight with your other fingers. If it bleeds again, a little bit of cornstarch held on for a few seconds should help