• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to prevent the lovey goop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:ashamed2:There are times when Emma my african grey will behave quite lovey towards me for some reason. I have no clue what the trigger is.:confused::confused: I don't give her any scritches below her neck.. nor do I touch her wings, back, tail, etc. :eek:

Her gestures and offerings make me feel quite uncomfortable :(and kind of make me want to hurl. She'll even reinforce what she's about to do .. by actually telling me how much she loves me. It's actually quite disconcerting when she does this.:eek:

Intellectually, I understand that is is probably a sign of affection but really I don't like it at all and tend to behave like a silly mad woman when I notice her start to spread her wings in preparation to regurgitate. I run to the cd player, turn up the volume very high and start singing, and dancing Away from her hoping she'll notice my disinterest. I am so uncomfortable that I even avoid eye contact when she does this.

Help.

I don't know how else to handle it. There was one time she caught me by total surprise and I just couldn't handle it.

Any tips, best practices would be appreciated. Emma is 21 months old.

Last edited:

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
Sorry I don't really have tips.. My Sporty does this too. I try to ignore it and get his attention on something so he will stop. He even done it the other day while I was taking pics of him.. It is a yucky pic LOL
I am interested in the tips you get and will be back to check this thread..

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
How many hours of daylight does your girl get? 21 months seems a little young for full-on hormonal-ness, it may be that she's just 'practicing' the adult behaviors. Like many other behaviors, your best option might be to just leave the room when she does it. Having lots of fun, entertaining things occur like music and singing seems unlikely to discourage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.