• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to prevent egg laying in cockatiels?

birdfloof

Strolling the yard
Since I am getting a female cockatiel soon, I am wondering how to prevent egg-laying once she reaches sexual maturity. I am already aware of where to/to not pet, no mirrors, don't use nesting areas and to use a consistent sleep schedule for her, but is there anything else I should know about? And if she does end up laying eggs, what should I do? (I'm trying to prepare myself as much as possible for anything that could happen once I get her so that I can care for her the best way that I can)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
use a consistent sleep schedule
Be sure that when it´s bedtime, she´s undisturbed all night so she sleeps through. And that during the ¨daytime¨, it is bright, not dim - if you have grey days where you live, look into a nice LED lamp.

And if she does end up laying eggs, what should I do?
As she is a single bird, just leave them where they are. If she sits on them (broods) that´s fine, but they need to be removed 19 days later, max.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Frequent rearranging of the cage can help too, if she tends to be an egg layer. But not all female cockatiels are.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Since I am getting a female cockatiel soon, I am wondering how to prevent egg-laying once she reaches sexual maturity. I am already aware of where to/to not pet, no mirrors, don't use nesting areas and to use a consistent sleep schedule for her, but is there anything else I should know about? And if she does end up laying eggs, what should I do? (I'm trying to prepare myself as much as possible for anything that could happen once I get her so that I can care for her the best way that I can)
You are brilliant to be thinking and planning a head!!@

They sell dummy eggs . You can deffinatly have those in hand to swap out as she lays. 4-6?

And important to have healthy diet. Seeds/pellets/ lots if fresh leafy greens and veggies. Healthy diet should prevent any soft eggs and issues with laying.

Some females ate going to lay no matter what...some never will

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Something else I forgot to say. As you have a cockatiel, it´s a good idea to note the dates when eggs are laid and monitor. If she lays more than 3 clutches a year, it´s a problem you will need to consult with your vet about.
For a lone hen, you don´t need dummy eggs, but for those who lay often, you can use dummy eggs in a different way, by adding dummy eggs to the first egg to create a ¨full clutch¨ and prevent her laying a real full clutch.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
i bought dummy eggs as soon as I decided to buy my tiel from the breeder. I did that because like Zara said, egg laying might be thwarted if you give the bird 4-6 extra dummy eggs after the first egg is laid. If she does lay an egg and you don't have dummy eggs, make sure to leave the egg(s) with her until she grows bored of them, otherwise they can lay more eggs to replace eggs "stolen".

I've read it is extremely rare for a healthy and active tiel to become egg bound. My tiel gets hormonal quite often ( she will stick her butt in the air) and I just distract her . She only does that while in the cage. Sometimes I wonder if it is just to get my attention at this point, lol. It happens probably every 2-5 days, except for when I move her to a new environment ( My family or boyfriends place, then she remains non hormonal for three weeks ). If you notice hormonal behaviour just try your best to curb the hormones. Changning the cage layout, toys, cage position, giving the bird more foraging options, and just hanging out with your birb often enough can distract them from being hormonal. My tiel has been hormonal since she was only 6 months of age, so I Had to be more vigilant about toy placement to not touch her back, but still , at the age of 5 1/2 , has not laid 1 single egg. I never had to use a dummy egg , yet.

Last edited: