• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to Prevent Betta fin rot

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
My two delta tail Male Bettas have both suffered fin rot but are now in recovery. Cupid is my Juvenile and Apollo is elderly for a Betta.. I'm looking for tips on how to prevent fin rot in the future.. Thank you. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of set up are they in? I've had 6 or so bettas over the years and none have had fin rot thankfully!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
They each have their own 1.5 gallon cube with a fliter, substrate, live plants and an LED Light @Mizzely
The most probable causes are dirty water and low temps. You should have a heater that keeps the water at around 76-80, no matter what. In my opinion you should upgrade the tank to AT LEAST a 3.5G 1.5 is much too small. Minimum recommended is 2.5, but I wouldn't go lower than 3.5. When I started with bettas, I had a 5g and I think that's prime when you don't have a lot of space, I have my 2 in 10gs right now.

If you have some extra room, you could divide a 10g or bigger to house both of them, I'm working on dividing a 40g and dividing to hold 5 fish with 8G each so if you want any advice on that I'm here.

What are the water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, PH etc.

I'm glad you have a planted tank!!

Last edited:

BreezyTiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
@Miss Annamarie No heater but we keep my room warm, average temp of 73 F, I know the recommended temp for Bettas is 80 F, but we've got a thermometer in both tanks and the water always reads within the 78 to 80 degree range. The tank size is bellow recommended, but I'm not currently in the position to upgrade.

I Feed API Pellets & weekly freeze dried blood worms.

Thanks for your help & sorry for the super late reply.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi, changing the water frequently will reduce the bacteria that can cause infections as such.

What type of tank are you using? Filters help, and a natural bacteria flora will ensure a healthy environment. You can add some aquarium salt which can help. Many Betta keepers suggest adding an Almond leaf that you can find online. I learned that some bettas will actually nip their own fins.

They do like frozen brine shrimp too, I never offer pellets due to causing bloat, if you can pre soak them first, that would be better.

:)

Last edited:

fishfriend

Checking out the neighborhood
I struggled with betta fin rot for a while when I first kept bettas. I was overcleaning my tank thus, inadvertently getting rid of the good bacteria. I was giving the filter sponges a good blast under the tap and adding them back clean of both dirt and any bacteria when I should have soaked them in the old water for 10 minutes before returning them.
A little aquarium salt also helps.
I have just written a post which may be worth a read : What Causes Fin Rot In Bettas (Symptoms & Treatment Guide) | Fish Keeping Academy

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any bacterial infection regarding fish is due to poor water quality and unstable paramaters.

Tank should never show ammonia if cycled correctly, filteration should be able to deal with the bioload of the tank, i would always suggest more filteration than suggested.
Feed sparingly and often no more than you fish can eat in 2 mins.
Best quality water when doing a water change RODI filteted water.
Add a heater a overnight temp drop could cause a issue.
Varied diet, pellet,flake,dried food and live food.