• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How To Preen?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I have an African Grey, Ms. Bailey. As you all probably know finding her a cage-mate is an extremely difficult task since Greys are so hard to come by. I can’t even find a breeder that has any on hand right now. Anywho, Ms. Bailey’s feathers seem a bit scraggly and with her being an older bird, she probably has some difficulty preening herself. How do birds normally preen each other? Can I preen her with my fingers or do I need a special, grooming tool? Basically, what are some ways I can groom and pamper her other than providing her a bath and a daily spray-bottle? I want to be sure she has everything she needs even if it will be a long time before I can get her a cage-mate.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I work the pins with my fingers gently to preen :)

Also, as your bird is older, maybe she would like an older bird a similar age to her? Maybe there´s a bird in a shelter that could be a good fit? Lots of people are surrendering birds for financial reasons right now, so you could find a really nice bird that has had a great life and looking for a home. Just a thought

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I work the pins with my fingers gently to preen :)

Also, as your bird is older, maybe she would like an older bird a similar age to her? Maybe there´s a bird in a shelter that could be a good fit? Lots of people are surrendering birds for financial reasons right now, so you could find a really nice bird that has had a great life and looking for a home. Just a thought
I’ve looked. All my birds are rescues, including Ms. Bailey. Unfortunately but perhaps fortunately at the same time Greys don’t get surrendered often. Me and my mom have checked everywhere. The breeders we approached were last resorts.