• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to pick a friend for your caique?

Lovebirdslave

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone,
So I currently have a female black head caique who is about 10 months old. She was with her brothers until she was about 5 months old when I brought her home.
In a few months we will be moving away from the flock of lovebirds we lived with and it will be down to just the baby caique. I want to get friend for her which will have its very own cage separate from her that I might be able to introduce and allow them to play together, but I have zero idea as to how to do this successfully. How do you introduce your birds to potential playmates?
I’m thinking I may get another female caique, but not limiting options unless I need to. I don’t want a boy because I don’t want hormones going insane. Should I be open to other species? Any and all advice from households with multiple birds is so very appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Man I love caiques. I hope you post videos, they’re so stinkin hilarious.

Another of the same species is probably your best option, but there’s always the risk of them not getting along no matter what it is.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Caiques are great birds!! Mine are both females of about nine and a half years old. They were bonded buddies when I purchased them at a bird shop in Oregon nine years ago. I went into the the shop planning to purchase one, and saw how these two would interact, so I got both of them! I've never had birds who were buddies! They are so entertaining!! They are strong and play rough...caiques have been known to kill other species of birds. I don't let my green cheek conures out of their cages when the caiques are out of their cage. Caiques can be excitable bullies and, at least mine, require supervision when out of their cage (think perpetual toddlers). The best companion for a caique is another caique. They may not end up as buddies, but get one of the same age and that will improve your chances of compatibility. Keep them in separate cages in the beginning...they may have to stay separate or not, time will tell. Lots of supervision and patience!!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Young caiques are very flerxible in their attitude to new birds. Their need for a flock overwhelms any initial resistance to new faces
(But remember the usual T&C's apply)*

Youll probably be ok picking a young friend for your bird yourself. But its better if they meet and choose each other

* Both birds under 18 months to two years
* Neutral venue, not a cage owned by either bird
* PLENTY OF PERSONAL SPACE for easy escape
*Constantly supervised when together, for several weeks
*Multiple food bowls, unless you want WW3
* Remember YOU BELONG TO YOUR FIRST BIRD, not the other way round

Lovebirdslave

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Young caiques are very flerxible in their attitude to new birds. Their need for a flock overwhelms any initial resistance to new faces
(But remember the usual T&C's apply)*

Youll probably be ok picking a young friend for your bird yourself. But its better if they meet and choose each other

* Both birds under 18 months to two years
* Neutral venue, not a cage owned by either bird
* PLENTY OF PERSONAL SPACE for easy escape
*Constantly supervised when together, for several weeks
*Multiple food bowls, unless you want WW3
* Remember YOU BELONG TO YOUR FIRST BIRD, not the other way round
yes, I very much understand my girl owns me! Lol. And I actually went and asked for a young caique who is about the same age as my girl, less than a year, to be dna tested. I want to ensure it’s another female to avoid extra hormonal problems. They’ll each have their own cages and I’m planning on building a big play stand that neither will see until they meet to keep it neutral. That way there’s no competition and they’ll be happier together when out and can just play like silly caiques.
A concern I have now after speaking with the breeder is that I could ruin my bond with my first girl by trying to break up a fight between them. Is there a way to avoid this or to break them up properly? I love how bonded my girl is with me. I know you have lots of little caiques running around! Thank you so much!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
If you get a caique to sit on any play stand as you walk away, please tell the rest of us how you managed it. Or write a best seller. lol Play stands for caiques are a waste of money

Caiques posture ( body language) and shout before a fight begins. The way to avoid a fight is stay alert and watch the body language

They signal clearly, red eyes, ruffled feathers, wings lifted. (this is where you bribe, distract, intervene and remove one party)

they they shout.

.3 milliseconds later

ATTACK

If you let it get physical, you will NOT be standing around watching

IF, and its a BIG IF, a fight breaks out, They will GO FOR IT, 100%

You will need to need to MOVE, NOW,

Keep a towel handy to save your hands as you separate them, as both will be very excited and bite you

Last edited:

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Good advise @Irishj9! I always have an old bath towel nearby when my two are out, usually if they get extra "beaky" but it can come in handy for all sorts of issues!