• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to move/travel with birds? (Help)

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
In about 6 months I might be moving from Hawaii to the mainland. The question is, how can I do this with a bird? I have already started researching and it seems complicated considering all the airline rules. Has anyone done this before? How did you do it?
My worst fears are:
1. Pepe will get so stressed on the flight he will start plucking/self harm
2. He will have to go below with the suitcases and he will not have enough oxygen
3. Lost in connecting flight

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I haven’t transported a bird via plane but I do believe the section they put animals in is not actually the same as the suitcase area- I believe it is pressurised and does have oxygen flow- I’ve transported dogs, ferrets and cats a fair few times around and across Australia. Call the airlines and ask about the particulars of the pet holding area on the plane to ease your mind. I’d definitely cable tie closed any carrier you use for transport and I’d definitely want something very sturdy like the cat crates.
I don’t think your bird will start plucking while in flight even though it will likely be stressed - probably be too busy using all available senses and concentration to take in the foreign surroundings.
I believe pets are treated differently to luggage meaning there should be very minimal chance of being lost in a connecting flight.
I really think you should call the airlines to discuss this stuff so you have a full understanding of procedures and environment your bird would travel in.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I am confused-- he is small enough that you should be able to bring him on-board with yourself. You are flying over at the same time, right?

Last I knew, you had to make a reservation for your animal since they would only allow for so many [thought it was 2 or 3x] at a time. And as long as the carrier would fit under the seat ahead of you. [And there was a fee, of course]. Would assume you would need the vet OK-- health check-- before leaving. [I had to have vet check before crossing state lines in USA, much less a different continent].
Keep the paperwork w/ you, not packed away.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I'd try to have my birds stay with me on the flight if that is at all possible.

If it simply isn't feasibly, I can say that my birds were shipped to me as cargo and they arrived unscathed. I was pretty anxious by the whole time they were in transit though, and I didn't even know them yet.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the help guys. I’m pretty sure that Hawaii does not allow birds in the cabin w/people but I have to double check. I need to look into the rules more.