• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to move 4 budgies to new house 4 hours away!

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Hey guys, so my husband and I are moving! Our new house is about 4-4.5 hours away. Should I move all four birds in one container? And what should I use? I have a backpack but they don’t like it/ it would be hard to put all four in. I also have the first cage I ever housed two of them in. What have you guys used with success? I am trying to minimize their stress throughout this process!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If they're used to being together, they should be fine together for the trip. That would likely provide them with some comfort -- that the flock is still together.

If they're used to being separate, it's best to keep them separate. So, keep the groupings the same.

For transport, anything that keeps them safe and secure is fine. That means they can't escape, won't overheat, can't easily be knocked over and accidentally open, has food and water, or the ability to provide food and water without opening the main door. The last thing anyone wants is to manage an escape during an already stressful day, somewhere between your old home and the new one.

My last move was only 90 minutes, and my guys each rode in their own carriers -- the ones normally used for our vet visits. They travelled with me in the car, not in a moving van.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you decide to put them all together for the journey, be sure to take the backpack or something extra in case there are any squabbles during the journey, you can pull over, and split them into 2´s.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Four hours was the distance I travelled with my budgie when I brought him home-- this might be my over-cautiousness, but one thing that isn't always brought up that I'd add is 1) make sure the AC is circulating internally, and 2) maybe get a USB HEPA filter, since cars are so packed with VOCs. I got that and two charcoal bags to absorb as much bad stuff as I could. Don't know if it saved the bird's life or not, but it sure made me feel better!

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Not exactly the OP's question, but related, once you figure out how you're containing them, is it less stressful for them to cover the cage, or is not being able to see what's going on more likely to make them freak out?

Especially when you're moving them into and out of the vehicle. I'm assuming that once you've got them into a vehicle they won't be seeing stuff moving around them.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I put my bird/s in travel cages in the car with me. Once everyone is ready to go, the moving truck is gone, and we are getting into the car, then I get them. I put them in the backseat and I sit there with them to keep them calm. One of my birds refuses to eat in the car (which is NOT good for a 5-6 hour drive), so we do make an extra pitstop for her. I just put them in their travel cages, put the cages in the car, and everyone is fine! None of my birds have ever been too bothered by traveling, but just in case I have sheets to cover all of the cages in case someone gets scared.