• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to manage mess from chop/vegetables better?

Fluffyoh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Choo
Hi! Fluffy is my first bird and I read up a lot on it, but one question I cannot find the answer to is how to keep the mess manageable.
To give some context I live in a small apartment (So no power washers etc) and I don’t want to keep fluffy caged up all day so she only goes into her cage at night to sleep. Other than that she has the whole balcony to herself with a floor java stand. She’s very sticky and doesn’t like to go into her cage so I put the food outside the cage, and just use many newspapers. But it’s too many and not manageable. I bought tidyseed but its too slippery and small. Hence she doesn’t like to go in. How do you all manage the mess? Are there any products you buy that helps? Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Chair mats, shower curtains (need to be aired out first) or bed sheets are all options :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I use chair mats and beach towels here.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I have a little vacuum I can use around her cage.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Birds are just messy in general! There is so many cleaning products I use that help and cleaning solutions. My favorites are (can’t remember what they are called) these things that wrap around the bottom of the cage to keep the food inside the cage.Another favorite is a mixture of vinegar, lemon, an water I put in a spray bottle to clean the poop and food bowls and it works like crazy!I don’t have many because I’m scared that some of the products will harm my birds.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I put cloth shower curtains down to help control the mess a bit. I just roll them up to shake outside and then I throw them in the wash. I now have a Roomba that I really don't know what I did with out. I still use the shower curtain for wet foods like chop and other fruits/veg. But the Roomba takes care of all of the other mess like seed, pelllets, and wood chips. We use a vinegar/water or F10 solution to clean with. If you let ithe solutiion sit for a minute it is pretty easy to wipe stuff down after.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I use a mat that is supposed to be used for under chairs or other things to catch the mess. It works well for me, because I can just pull it out from under the cages, shake it out and then throw it in the washer. Here is the link to one similar: https://www.amazon.com/Wo-Baby-Wash...=baby+chair+mat+Chevron&qid=1603725736&sr=8-6

To protect the walls around the cages I use a self adhesive, removable wallpaper that is easier to clean than the actual wall, and is easily removable if needed to be taken down. Here is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesiv...ive+wallpaper+abbysally&qid=1603726118&sr=8-7

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I just stick carpet protector the floor and carpets where my little ones go. I clean it as a normal floor and remove it if I have visitors or needs replacing. I also clean up a few times a day - as long as you keep on top of it it isn't a chore.
Example:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Depending on the bird, you can look for feed silo’s where they need to stick their heads in.. some birds are okay with it, some wont.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
not sure if your referring to poop or birds eating. For poop, at least in my case, my birds only really poop where they perch so my laptop I have to clean nightly lol and a few places that I have a plastic matt under. For seeds/pellets I just sweep every night, takes two minutes. I've kind of just accepted my walls are splattered with fruit and veg haha and scrape it off here and there.

elitys

Real Name
Elise
We live in an apartment as well, and we use large heavy duty plastic sheeting underneath the cage areas to help catch the mess. You can find big rolls at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $10-15. Definitely not foolproof though; we do a lot of vacuuming.

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
My girl mostly eats when I'm with her and we use a beach towel to control the mess on the futon. She goes in her cage when I'm not home and much of her chop is eaten there. Daily sweeping around the cage is a thing as well.