• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make your bird perch on your finger

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
When you have a new bird, test out foods that they like. Once you found out that favorite food, every day, put your hand in the cage. Let your hand get closer to the bird every day. When you get close enough, push gently on its chest. It will put one foot on your finger. Try to get both feet on your finger. Then reward your bird with its favorite treat! Do this same process multiple times a day until your bird can perch on your finger without the treat!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'd suggest a slightly different way of approaching this.

How to earn your bird's trust so they willingly choose to perch on your finger.

When you have a new bird, test out foods that they like. Once you found out that favorite food, every day, put your hand in the cage and observe your bird's reaction to its presence. If your bird shows signs of fear, withdraw your hand slightly. This shows your bird that you are listening to the feedback they are communicating to you. Over time, as their trust in you builds, you will be able to Let your hand get closer to the bird every day as their body language shows they are comfortable with your hand. When you get close enough, push gently on its chest hold your hand steady, close enough for your bird to step on and have their favourite treat visible in your palm as their reward. One day It will put one foot on your finger. Another day they will choose to step Try to get both feet on your finger. Let the pace be dictated by your bird rather than your own expectations. Then reward your bird with its favorite treat! Do this same process multiple times a day, always observing whether it's welcome or not, until your bird can perch on your finger without the treat!

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
I'd suggest a slightly different way of approaching this.

How to earn your bird's trust so they willingly choose to perch on your finger.

When you have a new bird, test out foods that they like. Once you found out that favorite food, every day, put your hand in the cage and observe your bird's reaction to its presence. If your bird shows signs of fear, withdraw your hand slightly. This shows your bird that you are listening to the feedback they are communicating to you. Over time, as their trust in you builds, you will be able to Let your hand get closer to the bird every day as their body language shows they are comfortable with your hand. When you get close enough, push gently on its chest hold your hand steady, close enough for your bird to step on and have their favourite treat visible in your palm as their reward. One day It will put one foot on your finger. Another day they will choose to step Try to get both feet on your finger. Let the pace be dictated by your bird rather than your own expectations. Then reward your bird with its favorite treat! Do this same process multiple times a day, always observing whether it's welcome or not, until your bird can perch on your finger without the treat!
Thank you for fixing My message. I typed What I remembered I did with my birds 2 years ago. I might‘ve forgot the things I did.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When you have a new bird, test out foods that they like. Once you found out that favorite food, every day, put your hand in the cage. Let your hand get closer to the bird every day. When you get close enough, push gently on its chest. It will put one foot on your finger. Try to get both feet on your finger. Then reward your bird with its favorite treat! Do this same process multiple times a day until your bird can perch on your finger without the treat!
This is not a positive experience for your bird therefore it’s not a recommended technique. You can find many positive recommended training techniques in the Training court if you’d like to find better ways to work with your bird.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
This is not a positive experience for your bird therefore it’s not a recommended technique. You can find many positive recommended training techniques in the Training court if you’d like to find better ways to work with your bird.
Oh :(

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Rather than pushing on the belly, lure them onto your hand with a treat. This way your birds can learn that the hand means they get a treat. If you push on the belly, you leave your bird with 2 options: Step up, or get pushed over, and this can be quite scary for such a small animal :)

Reactions: tka