• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make water taste bad?

Tajra

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone I just started teaching my bird to take liquids by syringe if I ever need to medicate her. Once I found somewhere that they were teaching their parrots to voluntarily take nasty-tasting liquids. Does anyone have any idea what I could add to water to make it taste bad for the parrot while still being safe?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would probably start with stuff that tastes yummy.

Much easier to train your bird to enjoy syringe feedings that way and you can often mask bitter or bad tasting medication by mixing with a favorite flavor. He might even like the taste of the medicine or at least tolerate it, so there would be no need to subject him to bitter or disgusting fake "medicine" as a training practice.

The main goal should be teaching him that the syringe brings good things, like water, juice, nectar, tea, or hand-feeding food. Then, you will have a much easier job when it comes time to offer an oral medicine, since your bird won't fear the syringe or the handling steps necessary to give the medicine to him.

As you work with your bird, you will probably learn what flavors he likes and which ones he hates, so if you feel like training him to accept bad-tasting liquids, you can just use his least favorite juice flavor. But my recommendation would be to focus on the positive so he builds strong good associations with the syringe feedings and then try new flavors occasionally to expand his palette.

Tajra

Meeting neighbors
I already started with yummy stuff and even though she was afraid of the syringe at first I quickly taught her that it´s not gonna murder her. I will keep the syringe only positive for a while but I am curious if I will be able to teach her to take bitter-tasting stuff. Not every medication can be mixed with something sweet or the sweetness won´t make up for the bitter taste.

Thanks for the tip with the juice flavors. I will try that one. She is used to eating a large variety of foods but she hates bananas so that´s gonna be a starter.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
One thing I'd worry about, is by teaching her water tastes bad, she'll not drink enough water.
Making her water taste bad is a plan that could back fire badly.
I agree with teaching her the syringe holds yummy stuff, and if you need to give yucky stuff, disguise the taste as best as possible.