• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make things at ¨zero¨ cost?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
3B991061-5FBB-4A76-BE3A-178A472EC81E.jpeg
For the toy on the left, I used corn husks and dried them myself. We always have a ton of these when we get corn. And then sort of braided some paper in. That’s it!

For the toy on the right, I used an floppy hat I had laying at home and cut it up (yes, a floppy hat!) and some paper straws.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
018C0294-6E17-4515-B819-DC60EE690C92.jpeg
I also made this toy. I used a wicker ball I got from an old toy, then there’s a toilet role stuffed with crinkle paper I got from a gift, then some woven pieces I from a floppy hat I didn’t need, then some paper straws, cardboard, yuccas pieces from old toys, and lastly paper. Everything was from my house!!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Something super easy all of my birds enjoy is taking a treat and wrapping it up in paper. I leave a little tail so I can weave it through the cage bars, or a use a claw hair clip. My linnies especially love this!

Attachments

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
This cardboard thing came with my chewy order today and it will make a great forager. I shredded paper (also packing material) and stuffed the holes and put in some treats. I added some colored shredded paper because it was looking monochrome, but even with no color they love to dig in things like this! 20211002_165251.jpg 20211002_170513.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used a parrot pipe but can easily replace with a kitchen roll tube and some paper straws ( they can be picked up cheaply from amazon for a few hundred )
Stuff the pipe with straws cut to a few different lengths stuff a couple of seeds in the shorter straws.

20211221_141518.jpg 20211221_141240.jpg 20211221_141230.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Similar idea but hanging in cage no treats inside though ( that would be to easy ) but they love to destroy straws. 20211221_144446.jpg 20211221_144511.jpg 20211221_144446.jpg 20211221_144511.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
some paper straws ( they can be picked up cheaply from amazon for a few hundred )
If anyone is really struggling, you can get free straws from coffee shops (costa, starbucks) or mcdonalds, burger king etc. Obviously only taking a few, or asking beforehand.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I know it's not a viable option for everyone but natural toys save me heaps of money. This one I just gave to Nautilus. Banksia pod with sunflower seeds, it'll be his first foraging toy :)
20230306_131616.jpg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know it's not a viable option for everyone but natural toys save me heaps of money. This one I just gave to Nautilus. Banksia pod with sunflower seeds, it'll be his first foraging toy :)
View attachment 424301
Well that's nifty! Is it from a native tree or did you find it online?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
View attachment 424301
I collected a huge bag full of these for my birds and none of them were interested in them o_O ungrateful brats they are!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I collected a huge bag full of these for my birds and none of them were interested in them o_O ungrateful brats they are!
Quarter liked the one I gave him ages ago. I still haven't tried them with the budgies yet.
Your's won't use them for treats?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Quarter liked the one I gave him ages ago. I still haven't tried them with the budgies yet.
Your's won't use them for treats?
No, only one bird really has an interest in treats and he’s realised with a treat container like that cb particular one he just has to shake it, throw it or drop it and his treats are on show on the floor and easy to retrieve.
The Squeakster and The Birdie Turdie would rather starve than work for their meals and as neither is fat I won’t force them to forage for meals.

Tiki Tiel

Meeting neighbors
My cockatiel loves wires and paper so I just cut thin strips of paper and she’ll make spitballs and rip them up. She also LOVES chewing on the stick of millet when all of the millet has all been eaten off of it. So I like to make little bowls of just paper and millet sticks. Can also put on a toy skewer that all the toys have been removed from.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She also LOVES chewing on the stick of millet when all of the millet has all been eaten off of it.
That is a favourite amongst my girls too :D

LiveLolBrd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
Here are the toy's I made this morning. Not exactly ZERO cost but pretty close. Just some craft supplies I had laying around.
Untitled design (20).png