• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to make my cat ignore my bird

blXndglXss

Meeting neighbors
my cat is a really good hunter and almost hitted my bird once -i always separate the two of them in different rooms but sometimes my cat is in my room without i realise it because enters so silently out of my vision.
i really want her to stop trying to chasse my bird when she sees them.if possible id really like if my cat manages to ignore my bird's presence or at least a couple minutes.is they're a way to accomplish this?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
A collar around your cat's neck with a bell will ensure it can't sneak around, but that's not without its own risks to the cat.

You could train the "leave it" command, but even if that works, it won't protect your bird if your cat has access to it, because it's still a cat with a high prey drive ("really good hunter").

Your cat can kill your bird faster than you can say "leave it", or intercede.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I was at a uncle's house for some days and the cat kept on eating birds, even when he wasn't hungry. We save I don't know how many birds from that cat. Thing is:your cat is probably not going to give up. Training cats is not a really a thing for a reason. You need to get your bird into a safe room, or a 'bird' room where the cat is not allowed at all. Make sure everyone knows to keep the door shut, put reminder sighns on the door and you could put as the person above suggested, put a bell on the collar, and also on the door. I know this seems to extreme, but you can't trust your cat at all with your birdie.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
You really can't 'make' a cat do anything they don't want to do. There are certain breeds who can be trained like a dog but for the most part felines are independent creatures with a mind of their own.
I have had cats who were not hunters and ignore my birds and pet mouse alone. But I have also had one cat who had such a high killer drive that I couldn't trust her around my bird for a second, even when he was safely sitting behind the bars of his cage. The fact that your bird is little makes your situation tougher.

I agree with what other's have said, the bird needs to be kept in another room and the door needs to be always shut. I will add that having your bird in a big and heavy cage will also help because kitty will have a harder time knocking it down and getting to your bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
the cat kept on eating birds, even when he wasn't hungry. We save I don't know how many birds from that cat. Thing is:your cat is probably not going to give up. Training cats is not a really a thing for a reason.
Ugh, this just reminded me of the pigeon chick the other year. Stray cats congregate around a rock down on the beach and plenty of folks feed them cat food and ham etc. I was walking home with my nephew just days after a chicken chick died in my kitchen, and we saw the women feeding all the cats, lots of food and water in bowls all down the promenade. Then my 3 year old nephew is saying ¨bird. bird¨, I didn´t really think much of it, the pigeons always live higher in the hollows. Then in the corner of my eye I saw a cat had a chick in it´s mouth. For a split second I was thinking of a nice way to explain the circle of life to my nephew, but I saw the chick start flapping and screeching. I quickly moved to try and intercept the cat before going through the fenced off area, and the birds feathers literally brushed my fingers.
I´ll never forget that.
Cat´s kill even when they don´t need to.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Ugh, this just reminded me of the pigeon chick the other year. Stray cats congregate around a rock down on the beach and plenty of folks feed them cat food and ham etc. I was walking home with my nephew just days after a chicken chick died in my kitchen, and we saw the women feeding all the cats, lots of food and water in bowls all down the promenade. Then my 3 year old nephew is saying ¨bird. bird¨, I didn´t really think much of it, the pigeons always live higher in the hollows. Then in the corner of my eye I saw a cat had a chick in it´s mouth. For a split second I was thinking of a nice way to explain the circle of life to my nephew, but I saw the chick start flapping and screeching. I quickly moved to try and intercept the cat before going through the fenced off area, and the birds feathers literally brushed my fingers.
I´ll never forget that.
Cat´s kill even when they don´t need to.

Thank you for trying to save that baby bird. I have done that a few times, sometimes with success but most of the time the cat was faster than me. :(

I imagine that she took the baby bird because she was a feral/stray cat who was born outside and really didn't know where her next meal was coming from.
Humans can't always be relied on to consistently put food out for cats and there is always a chance that some cats are bullied away from the food by others. Then having kittens always puts mom cat into predator overdrive.

This is why I wish they would make the punishment for dumping cats a whole lot harsher.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
my cat is a really good hunter and almost hitted my bird once -i always separate the two of them in different rooms but sometimes my cat is in my room without i realise it because enters so silently out of my vision.
i really want her to stop trying to chasse my bird when she sees them.if possible id really like if my cat manages to ignore my bird's presence or at least a couple minutes.is they're a way to accomplish this?
The safest approach is to always keep them separated. A cat with strong hunting instincts can't be reliably trained to ignore a delicious vulnerable bird. Even if the bird is protected by a cage, it can become stressed and die of fright, if the cat is allowed to stalk it and try to hit it through the bars.

If possible, get the cat a collar with a bell. They make break-away collars for cats that will come off if the collar snags on something. They are safe for the cat and help you notice when the cat is nearby.

But don't just rely on a collar. I recommend keeping the cat outside of the room at all times. Close the door and do not allow entry. It only takes a moment for a cat to scratch or bite a bird. And a cat injury will frequently lead to life-threatening infection for the bird. It is really dangerous and would require a vet visit for antibiotics.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Before you take your bird out, check the area your cat is in, and close that door. That way you are certain your cat cant get to your bird when theyre out! Just dont forget to let your cat back out afterward.