• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How to make chains a little safer

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some toys and swings come with chains, and while some birds never have any problems, others do.

Here is a super quick and easy way to cover the chains on toys, especially for those birds who like to climb up, to stop their toes/toenails getting trapped in the chains...

Here is Gíslis silly saucer. He has been holding on to the chain while playing. So I will cover it to help protect him,
IMG_20200920_200233.jpg

by threading beads on the chain,
IMG_20200920_200841.jpg

It even adds a little colour to the plain looking toy :)

Alternatives include, wrapping with vet wrap, or removing the chain and using something else instead to hold the toy up.

Feel free to post your own tips for anyone looking for toy/accessory safety ideas!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Some toys and swings come with chains, and while some birds never have any problems, others do.

Here is a super quick and easy way to cover the chains on toys, especially for those birds who like to climb up, to stop their toes/toenails getting trapped in the chains...

Here is Gíslis silly saucer. He has been holding on to the chain while playing. So I will cover it to help protect him,
View attachment 354162

by threading beads on the chain,
View attachment 354163

It even adds a little colour to the plain looking toy :)

Alternatives include, wrapping with vet wrap, or removing the chain and using something else instead to hold the toy up.

Feel free to post your own tips for anyone looking for toy/accessory safety ideas!
Great idea. I think it was @animalover that was looking for a way to cover up the chain in a toy.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was watching Gísli play with this toy, and I remembered Animalover asking about the chains, so I thought it was a perfect chance to take a picture while fixing the toy up. I had already posted, but seeing a picture is usually much easier to understand :)

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ve been avoiding chain toys
Understandable.
Gisli has been loving this saucer toy over the past few days, but he´s now grabbing the chain and hanging upside down and spinning it while playing. Too dangerous, so it needed fixing!

animalover

Jogging around the block
I was watching Gísli play with this toy, and I remembered Animalover asking about the chains, so I thought it was a perfect chance to take a picture while fixing the toy up. I had already posted, but seeing a picture is usually much easier to understand :)
thank you!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Looks awesome! Love it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Leather or paper rope threaded through the links works too if you have the right size to fill the chain link holes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is great. I took down Rios favorite toy due to 3 chains and her ability to find disaster.