• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make a room with birds smell good?

WiseBudgie

Meeting neighbors
All 4 of our birds live in my brother’s room, and he has been looking for something to make his room smell better because the chop and bird poop does smell up the room sometimes. Does anyone know any bird safe fragrances/candles/potpourri/flowers that not only smells good but is also okay for his feathery friends? Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Air purifier

Opening a window

White vinegar - spray 50/50 water and vinegar on the carpet, drapes, etc, and when it evaporates it takes smells with it

Get a small crockpot (like for dips) and add orange peels and cinnamon sticks

Anything with fragrance oils, essential oils, has to be burned, etc, isn't really safe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bi carb sprinkled on furniture and carpet then vacuumed off also helps remove unwanted odours.
Vanilla essence on a cotton ball placed somewhere the birds can’t get it omits a nice safe scent.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How often are the birds' cages cleaned? What substrate do you use? It might be an issue if cleaning them out more frequently.

WiseBudgie

Meeting neighbors
I use fragrance free paper towels as a liner because they’re easier to clean out and to get ahold of, and I do a big clean once a month where we clean out the entire cage including all the toys and perches. I’m going to start replacing the paper towel liner once every few days/once a week as well since I realize that may help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How often are you removing the paper now?

greengobbl

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsten
Your chop shouldn't smell bad (unless it's spoiled)? Maybe you are smelling spoiled food that's been dropped on the floor of the cage. Daily paper changes will help eliminate your odor problem, I think. I've never noticed any real odor to my parrot's droppings. I suppose it could happen if they were allowed to build up. Covering up odors probably isn't the best strategy vs regularly removing the droppings/old food.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's probably your problem. I change my bird's papers every day so nothing gets the chance to get smelly. I'd also be concerned about droppings and old chop getting mouldy, which is a health risk for both birds and humans.

Try changing the papers more regularly. If you can find it, unprinted newspaper is good - you can buy it from packaging websites. It works out cheaper than paper towels and comes in bigger sheets.

WiseBudgie

Meeting neighbors
Okay, yeah my birds can be messy eaters so I think the chop might of fell down while they were eating it, which is no good. I’m going to work on changing the lining more often as needed and cleaning more. Thank you all for the suggestions!