• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make a room smell good that’s non harmful to budgies?

Gemmy1057

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn Garber
Any tips on how to make my bird room smell good that’s won’t harm my budgies? My room gets a little stuffy, but I can’t open the window because it’s almost winter and freezing outside! Are there any natural ways to get my room to smell good? One of my budgies, Sonny, was just diagnosed with respiratory problems at the vet this morning… he is now on medication and I REALLY don’t want to do anything that will hurt him even more! My vet said essential oil diffusers are bad… but candles are bad too! Any ideas/thoughts? I would love love love to hear from any of you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Air purifiers with a charcoal filter.

You can also spray down curtains and fabrics with 50/50 water and vinegar, and it will take odors with it as it evaporates.

You can also get one of those tiny crockpots (dip warmer things) and put in some water, orange peels, and cinnamon sticks :)

Pomander balls are easy and work well too. I used to make them as a kid! How to Make Pomander Balls

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Would Potpourri be okay? Or maybe it is artificially scented?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Would Potpourri be okay? Or maybe it is artificially scented?
It usually has fragrance oils added :( At least the ones I have seen!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I have a 2 cup mini pot. I fill it with water than add cinnamon sticks or powder than turn my electric range/stove down to the lowest possible setting and let is heat up slowly, and within an hour, depending how much you add, the whole house smells of wonderful cinnamon. Adding a fruit would also help like orange or other citrus.
Thing is, keep it natural with no artificial additives or flavors, or sent.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real potpourri exists, but it's expensive & won't perfume a room (I feed it to my rabbits). I air year round. How long it is for depends on the season, varying from less than a minute to all day. But my budgies are far from the window & don't have respiratory issues.