• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to make a new conure comfortable

Monopolly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mahi
Hello everyone i own a 4 year old pineapple GCC. You can think me as a new owner although i am not as i went with my family out for 9 to 10 days and so had to keep our conure somewhere else and as a result it has forgotten us so we need to bond with it again. But there is a behavior issue that whenever we are nearby it it starts screaming with an angry behavior and is must of time like that even i our absence. As a result we have to keep her in a quiet room door closed and we are not able to interact with her even so how to make her happy and comfortable

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can anyone tell me how to upload a video
You need to link it from another video hosting site such as Instagram, YouTube, FB, Vimeo etc.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello everyone i own a 4 year old pineapple GCC. You can think me as a new owner although i am not as i went with my family out for 9 to 10 days and so had to keep our conure somewhere else and as a result it has forgotten us so we need to bond with it again. But there is a behavior issue that whenever we are nearby it it starts screaming with an angry behavior and is must of time like that even i our absence. As a result we have to keep her in a quiet room door closed and we are not able to interact with her even so how to make her happy and comfortable
I had to deal with screaming from both of mine after being away for 16 days.
I just re instated there routine and ignored the screaming offering a reward when they where quiet.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your parrot has not forgotten you after 9-10 days. Parrots remember people for months and years. My wife has just returned after three and a half months spent away, and Leia definitely remembers her and the training they did together.

Instead, I suspect that your bird is anxious. Keeping her in a quiet room and not interacting with her may offer a temporary reprieve, but ultimately might be making her more anxious because she can hear you but not see you. Birds like to be in the middle of things! I would suggest establishing a routine so that she knows what to expect during the day, and giving her things to keep her body and mind busy and active. These might involve toys, foraging for food, figuing out how to use puzzle toys, and training such as target training.

You should also think about your own reactions. All of the family need to respond in the same way. Otherwise you may be intermittedly rewarding her for screaming, and this can make it a very hard habit to phase out.

A couple of articles on screaming that offer very helpful advice

Monopolly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mahi
Hello everyone i i thank you all from the core of my heart the way you gave your special time for my polly because of your tips a lot of improvements i have experienced from herside i really wish your birds a great deal of enjoyment:):):D